PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful Survivor

Angelwing
09-11-2005, 06:31 PM
While I was at work today, a little birdie hit my sisters' window. After leaving him alone for awhile (and finding the neighbor's cat eyeing him on our doorstep), my mother decided to put him in a box. She went out for awhile, and when she came back, the bird still wasn't looking very good. He has a broken leg, so she transferred him to a vacant bird cage as he'll never make it on his own. He has a little dish of water, but I doubt he's touched it. Poor little guy. I peeked in on him (there is a cover on his cage) when I got home, and he's looking better. He's setting up now, as best he can, and flaps his wings a bit. I put a little dish of seed in for him, so hopefully he eats it. I really hope he'll be all right. He can hear my birds chattering in the next room, so I hope that's helping him to be a little less afraid. I'm not entirely sure what type of bird he is (although he looks like some sort of waxwing), but I can research it a bit. Of course, I won't be taking pictures as he's way freaked out all ready. He's just going to be kept in my mothers' room (which is quiet), so he can rest up and get better.

Janie
09-11-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm an avid back yard birder and I will tell you from experience that the best thing to do for a wild bird in this situation is to find a wildbird rehabber in your area. Especially since the bird has a broken leg.

Angelwing
09-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, the last time that I took animals (baby bunnies) to a rehab centre, they were pretty unprofessional about it. So I wouldn't be taking it to that particular one. And I'm not sure of another one around here.

linda040899
09-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Most of the vets in my area will accept injured wild birds and they will rehab them to be returned to their natural habitat. That leg needs to be set or the bird may not survive if it doesn't heal properly. It's illegal to keep wild birds so my next call would be my vet's office.

LauraO
09-11-2005, 09:23 PM
The first thing I do when I find a wild baby or injured bird is get it home, stable and then I immediately call around to find a rehabber to take it. It's the best chance a bird has as most good rehabbers know a little first aid along with what foods the bird needs to eat. They also are experienced in getting the bird to be released back in the wild.

I would also suggest calling the humane society or just do an internet search in your area

Good Luck

Janie
09-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Linda, I'm glad you mentioned the vet.....my dog vet will take an injured bird. I know that cause I asked her if she would (you know, just in case) a couple of years ago. I also know my song bird rehabber and she lives fairly close to me.