PDA

View Full Version : My First Lovebird is on it's Way!

MysticRealm
10-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I found a beautiful masked lovebird. Hand fed and tamed, with closed leg band, hatch certificate, DNA sexing (he is male). He is young around 3 months. He is also coming with a cage, dishes, some toys, and some food.
He is 3 hours away from me but luckily my brother is working in that area. I had to pick him up today b/c tomorrow somebody else was gonna get him (the breeder didn't put holds on the birds). So he has to stay one night at my brother's fiance's place, then come home later tomorrow night. I just can't wait to get him home. I also want to know exactly what he is coming with so I know what else I need/want to buy.
I will be going without cooking for a while haha. I have non stick pans at the moment so obviously can't use them but I can't afford new ones right now! Luckily I am pretty handy with a microwave and toaster!

I will post pics tomorrow hopefully!!

linda040899
10-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Congratulations on getting your first lovebird! As a breeder, I can understand not being willing to hold a bird for anyone. I've been burned in that department myself a few times.

Sounds like your new lovie comes all set up with the basics. Did the breeder say how big his cage is? I would wait until he arrives, see what he has and then go shopping for him. :)

MysticRealm
10-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks. I do understand not wanting to hold the bird. As a dog groomer I have many people make appointments then no show. It did however make the day and a half of waiting very stressful for me!! haha.

I don't know how big the cage is but I don't think it is going to be very big unfortunately. I don't know for sure though. It may be bigger than it seems.

MysticRealm
10-15-2010, 05:59 PM
So my little dumpling, Disco, is here!! I just came back from picking him up from my brother. I can tell he is a little stressed as he is hiding in his little snugglie thing. He nearly came out but I walked by and he went back in.
I have his vet appointment set up for tomorrow and hopefully all goes well on that part.
I think once he comes out of his snugglie thingy and calms down a bit I will open his door and see if he wants to come out just b/c he has been crammed in his cage for a day and a half!
I don't want to scare him by taking pics of him right now but I will post them when I get them.

michael
10-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi Mysticrealm. ...Congrats on your new lovebird! .... Glad to hear your taking steps to insure the health and well being of your precious baby. .. From the initial "well bird exam", to bird proofing his new home, it certainly pays to prepare as much as possible ahead of time. .. Best wishes for Disco and you! .............:)

MysticRealm
10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks so much. Shortly after he got home he came out of his snugglie thing. He is still giving me the 'eye' any time I move too fast but he has started to chirp and play and move about a bit more.
I am worried that dragging him over to the vets and handling him a bunch will bring him right back to being nervous and scared but I suppose it has to be done and hopefully he will get over it quickly.

linda040899
10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Sounds like Disco (cute name!) is beginning to settle in somewhat. It will take him a few days but it's normal to be quiet and reserved in the beginning. That first vet visit is important so that you can establish that he's in good health. Should there be anything wrong, which is unlikely, you will have more credibility with the breeder now than should there be something wrong and you wait to see the vet.

Eliza
10-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Congratulations!

Disco -- that is a GREAT name :) Can't wait to see photos of your new buddy :D