PDA

View Full Version : Keeping more than 2?

_simon_
11-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Hope this is the right section to ask.

I bought 2 peach faced yesterday, they were sharing a cage with 2 blue mutation peach faced and I was offered the other blue in addition to the 2 I was buying for a good price. I wasn't sure whether I could keep more than 2 together though so I only came away with the 1 pair.

Can 4 birds be kept together?

linda040899
11-07-2010, 06:45 PM
If all 4 birds were living in the same cage and getting along well with each other, you could have taken all 4. You can still go back and get the other 2 birds if you really want them. More than 2 birds in a cage is what I consider a small colony of lovebirds. I have a few of those but once you put all the birds in the cage, you can take out birds but putting more in usually doesn't work. If you remove birds, you need to remove them in pairs. Odd number of birds in a colony is not a good thing, but even number is usually OK. Bonded pairs is the best way to keep colonies or flight cages.

personatus
11-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Ive never had any luck with 4 birds caged together.

linda040899
11-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I actually had 2.5 breeding pairs in one cage, a male/female pair and a female/female/male trio. All were Fischer's and one male serviced 2 hens. Each had a nest on a different wall of the cage and there were several times I had chicks in all 3 nests. I also had a number of food and water dishes scattered everywhere, just in case.

Everyone got along just fine but that's the exception rather than the rule.

_simon_
11-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Thank you for the replies. I think I will play it safe and stick with the one pair.