PDA

View Full Version : Male feeling lonely?

Tomas
11-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I am asking this because, although Pipian was always "nicer" and more friendly, he was never tame. However, since his lady has been sitting on eggs, he seems more engaged, so to speak.
He comes to the corner of the cage closest to where I am standing talking to him, "talks" back and all in all, more connected.

I am wondering if this is normal, since he spends so much time alone without his mate.

Could it be that they are not really bonded and just get along for purposes of reproduction? is it that since he needs interaction and she is indide most of the time he seeks connection with people?

Have any of you had similar experiences?

While we are at this, I would also like to know if there is a way of getting them to eat more vaired stuff. As I have mentioned before, I offer as varied a diet as I can, but they just eat a couple bites of some of the things and to tell you the truth, I am worried that when the time comes to feed the babies they will not take more protein laden foods.

Thank you in advance

Tomas

linda040899
11-09-2010, 10:15 PM
What you are seeing is very typical with male lovebirds when their mates are sitting on eggs. Dad has very little to do...right now....but that will change very shortly when babies begin hatching! Many males will sit just outside the nest on the perch extension, while others look around for other things to do. That's why I have toys in my breeding cages!

Once babies arrive, you will probably see your picky eaters begin to eat anything and everything offered to them! It's amazing the amount of food required to feed fast growing little ones!!! Just keep making the food available.

Tomas
11-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Once babies arrive, you will probably see your picky eaters begin to eat anything and everything offered to them! It's amazing the amount of food required to feed fast growing little ones!!! Just keep making the food available.

OK, that is comforting. I was really worried they would just go on eating the same kind of food without adding variety.

I knew this was the place to get good information :-D

I and my lovies thank you

Tomas