PDA

View Full Version : Question about quarantine situation

bird-brain
11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
OK, so as you guys know I have been on the hunt for male fischer's and Wendy Edwards (thanks for that recommendation!) just happened to have some and I will be picking them up on Sunday.

I am wondering that since one of the males will be going to each of my hens:

is it a better idea to house the new boys separately during quarantine? (pretty sure that's a yes). but should that extend to putting them in separate travel cages as it's a 6 hour drive home?

Next, I am looking at a sticky quarantine situation. it's really not practical for me to bring these males in separately so if I need to quarantine in separate cages I have a spacial issue. I either have to put them in the same room in different cages and am not sure about how that will affect them bonding with their respective girls, OR one of them will have to go upstairs. The problem is that upstairs is an open loft area except for my son's room and his bathroom and my son works at night so birdie chirps in his room are not advisable. So I guess the question is how far away in an open area is far enough away? Perhaps I should try to suspend a small temp. cage from the ceiling on the ground floor? The cats live on that level with my daughter and it would be impossible to supervise 24/7 and cats can be tricksie little boogers. I have hated this tri level open floor plan situation for a long time and now I hate it even more! I am open to suggestions.

personatus
11-12-2010, 03:59 PM
If i buy a bird from a reputable breeder, I dont bother quarantining. I personally believe to properly quarantine the bird it needs to be in a seperate building or on a seperate air supply as such, aswell as a full cleaning down before going from one bird to another. Most people tend to keep the birds in quarantine in another room to their other birds, and it don't really achieve much imo.