PDA

View Full Version : Training

dayz
11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
my guffy is now 10 weeks old iw ill like to know if i could star training him to do tricks he now how to do step up went he want too what kind of thicks i could should him at his 10 week can someone help me :confused:

michael
11-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Personally, I was never really into having my lovebirds perform any kind of particular tricks. ...BUT!... I have capitalized (with loads of positive re-inforcement) on certain behavior that my birds were already predisposed to. .. For instance, just before retiring to bed, Goofy used to always stretch his wings. .. So right before he'd do this, i'd tell him to stretch his wings followed by plenty of praise. ... After several of our little sessions, I can now tell him to "stretch your wings" just about anytime of day, and quite often he will. ... Same went for lying upside down in my hand. (Not that he wouldn't do it anyways). ... But, if I stand him on my thumb, then exclaim "upside down bird!", he'll happily roll right over on his back in my hand, and lay there for a belly rub. ... Are these tricks? .. Well, that often depends on how others might perceive them. .. To those a little less familiar with parrot behavior, seeing a lovebird roll over, or stretch its wings on command, often appears pretty amazing. .. To me and Goof, its all routine. ..... Oh yeah. He does fetch his ball every now and then, and, will ring his dingy bell too. ... Long as i'm super nice about it. .............:p

From my understanding, training parrots takes plenty of patience, and tons of positive re-inforcement. .. You must also be realistic in regards to each birds abilities and capabilities. ... So you don't frustrate your bird over too long a training session, use several short sessions instead. .. Also, try sticking to one trick at a time so as not to confuse your bird. ... Reward with treats? ..If you want, yes. .... Withhold food for training purposes? .. NEVER. .. That is cruel, and can be dangerous.