PDA

View Full Version : Neem

Bill's Birds
12-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I often see Neem mentioned here. Is it Neem Oil, or Neem Cream? And is it the same stuff that you can buy in the health food store? Also, how about Tea Tree Oil?

linda040899
12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Neem oil is typically used as an insecticide, while Cream is what I use for cuts and other injuries. I happen to get mine at a health food store or you can order it online at http://www.neemtreefarms.com

Neem trees will grow in our area of Florida. I'm thinking about planting one in my backyard in the spring. :)

Do not use tea tree oil with birds.

Bill's Birds
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks, Linda.:)

Chickobee
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Neem oil, from neem seeds, is not for internal use. Neem extracts from the leaves and bark are safe to take in pills, teas, etc.

Right now I am using neem tree salve on exema and it is going away!!!! Yahoo! I got a booklet from Neem Tree Farms that lists all sort of things people use neem for. It is totally amazing so I am going to try more. I bought neem soap, the neem salve, a small bottle of neem oil, and several other products. I am definitely sold on the benefits of neem! I'm tempted to buy a need tree and plant it in a pot because they won't survive winters in our climate.

CompassionAk
12-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I wish the Neem wasn't so stinky =p

michael
12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
I wish the Neem wasn't so stinky =p

You know, it does kinda have a strange smell. .. Like a cross between something good, and something bad.....:x:). .... The brand i've used is "Thera NEEM Leaf & oil cream". Made by Organix south inc. .1-888-989-neem.

michael
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
It says "original vanilla" on the container. .. Could be that neem and vanilla don't mix to well.

linda040899
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Michael,
I'm using the same one you do and I love it! It's got what I might call an odd smell but that's OK with me. It works!!!! I use Neem shampoo and Neem chapstick (Neem stick) because, on top of everything else, I'm chemical sensitive. Neem oil can also be used as an insecticide but it only kills insects (bad and good, unfortunately) that eat the foliage that it's been sprayed on. It won't touch insects that just crawl over it or those that are sprayed by it unless it gets into the system of the bug.

I'm also looking to get a Neem tree this spring. They grow well here, as climate is sub-tropical.

diljaa
12-31-2010, 08:50 AM
I love the neem! I get cracked skin on my toes in the winter to a point where my pinky toe tries to separate from the rest of them. I've had this problem every winter for as long as I can remember and it goes on for weeks and weeks. It started this fall and as soon as I felt the crack between my pinky the the one next to it I applied the neem cream when I went to bed. Next morning my toes were all healed up! My pinky toes no longer try to run away from their siblings! I have tried all kinds of creams and ointments on it before and nothing has ever worked on it.