PDA

View Full Version : looking to get a new bird

dave h
01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
hi all, we are new to keeping lovebirds and got our 1st about 2 months ago, we have no idea of its age or sex although the previous had it for at least 4 months, we are looking to get a second bird, a young bird of about 16 weeks of age, are questions are 1, can we keep them in the same cage? 2, if they are different sexes will they breed with the age difference? the cage we have is about 48cm by 60cm and about 60cm tall so we guess this will be big enough for 2 birds. thanks Dave

linda040899
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I know we have members in UK and, hopefully, one of them will be able to make some suggestions.

Daiqattack10
01-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Dave, i'm fairly new to lovebirds too, i got mine in July, but i've don a TON of research and the breeder i got my baby from has texting so i bombard her with questions constantly :D

everyone is going to pretty much tell you that if you get another bird, there is a good chance they will bond to each other instead of you.
And the part about keeping them in the same cage, its best to have two cages and introduce them to each other in neutral territory.This also allows you time to bond with the new bird. And you're supposed to quarantine the new bird for 30 days, and this would be hard to do in the same cage... :)

And theres always the chance they wont like each other, in which case you would need a second cage anyways.

I'm bringing home a newly weaned lovebird in a few weeks, and my current bird is about 8 months old, so i'm going to be going through something similar. (:

What kind of lovebird do you have ?

dave h
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
hi my bird is a peach faced green, i have decided to get another cage and keep them separate, just let them out to play together after the first 30 days of quarantine