PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold?

CompassionAk
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
So I am down in Thousand Oaks in southern California to take my bird to the vet and since he isn't scheduled to go in till tomorrow I took advantage of my brothers day off work and we went shopping.

Anyways we stopped at a pet store and all of the birds were outside and the temperature was 44 out. There was a pair of Eclectus,a conure,some canaries,finches and a couple cockatoos one of which was shivering and sickly looking.

I am wondering what temperature is too cold for the birds? I think 44 is really cold and I am wondering if I could call the Humane Society on these guys? It really ticked me off when I said I thought it was too cold for the birds because they were shivering and the owner said they are fine because they have lots of feathers.

It has ruined my entire day because I feel so sad for those poor birds who have no choice,but to be stuck outside in the cold on the side of a busy road.

Enko_chan
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I think 44 is too cold for many of those birds. Some of them could survive in those climates in their flocks, in the homes that they create or find in the wild- but to expose them in cages in 44 degree, probably windy, drafty weather is cruel; feathery downy comforters not withstanding.

linda040899
01-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Many birds will do fine in cold weather, as long as they've been acclimated to it and they are out of drafts. I don't know of any pet shops that leave their birds outside like breeders might do here in FL so I would also say that this is cruelty. Check our In the Media Forum and I've posted a new article by Rebecca Sweat entitled Birds and the Law. This topic is one that is covered and it will tell you what you can do....legally.

Pips mom
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Sad....I know, when you see things like that, it just ruins your whole day. Best of luck tomorrow!