PDA

View Full Version : male vs female lovie?

Bluefeathers115
01-08-2011, 05:26 PM
is there any distinction between there two genders... or do i need to do a dna test? my quaker is dna male. and will this have any effect on their bond, or the bond with me?

linda040899
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
With Peachfaced Lovebirds, there are no visual differences between male and female. Some will say there are but I've been fooled too many times without DNA testing. Even DNA isn't 100% accurate. If you don't clean a nail well before you short cut it for a blood sample, you could end up with a contaminated test which will return male instead of female. With DNA, female is female, no mistakes. The other option is feather sexing which involves plucking 6-7 chest feathers. They have to be fresh, not molted.

Hard to say what affect gender could have on their relationship with each other. Female lovebirds tend to be more aggressive when they are nesty but a sexually mature male will do the self-satisfaction thing with a favorite object, which can be just about anything, including the back of your hand!

Their bond with you is dependent on attention from you. Most of my birds have companions but as long as I interact with them, I'm not left out of the loop.