PDA

View Full Version : Taming, back to start?

luuksteitner
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I've had my lovebird Yippy for a little over 3 weeks now. At first taming went really well. Within a few days I could feed him out of my hand through the bars of his cage adn within 2 weeks he would eat out of my hand from within the cage. He was always hesitating a little but always came to me and even nibbled my fingers (I think just to investigate them).

Then his behavior changed a little. He started to pluck his feathers and was sitting 'round' as we call it in Dutch. (I'm not sure what's the word for that in English, when he's sitting with a short neck and fluffy feathers). From what I understand this could be a bad sign and I first called the pet store where I bought him. They sold me some multi-vitamine/antibiotics powder to mix with his food, and in case he was plucking because of lice the gave me anti-lice pipets.
The powder was problem, the pipet was where the problems started. I didn't want to pick Yippy up against his will and break his trust. However, I had to. I had noticed before how he doesn't see anything when it's dark, and thinking it would be stressful for his when I have to chase him with my hand in the cage, I waited until it was dark outside, turned of the lights and could pick him up real easy because he didn't see my hand coming. I used the anti-lice pipet on the back of his neck and put him back in the cage. Now he was sitting on the bottom for a while, as if he was dizzy and almost fell over. After a minute he got back on his stick, holding the side of the cage with one leg, sitting there with his head down as if he were depressed and wanted to cry. He looked soooo sad... It made me feel real bad. I wondered if picking him up in the dark could have anything to do with his reaction.

The next two days he didn't pluck much feathers so I was hoping he would get better. On Sunday I was away for a few hours. When I came back he had plucked many feathers. There were feathers all around his cage. Now I became really concerned so on Monday I called the avian vet and yesterday I had to bring Yippy to the vet. They did some research on him and told me he is not sick, but just molting. The fluffy sitting could have been because of stress or still not being used to his new home, according to the vet.
I didn't like the fact I had to get him out of his cage against his will again. This time it was light and I had to chase him a little to get him. Now when he was back home he reacted quite normal, not as sad as the last time.

Since the first moment I had to pick him up and break his trust he is afraid for me and instead of always coming towards me he now flees away and on the back wall of his cage. Sometimes he eats millet out of my hand through the bars of the cage, after lots of hesitating.
So, I'm afraid it will take me a long time to tame him since this has happened. I was hoping to be able to let him out of the cage when he would be tame soon, but now this may take several months I would like to be able to let him out of the cage every now and then.

If someone here has some good advise on getting his trust back, I would be happy to hear this. The question most troubling me at the moment is; can I let him out of the cage already, or how long should I wait? I have been told it should be no problem to let him out as he will return back in an hour or so to get some food. Is there a risk he would not want to go back in his cage and just wants to flee? I do not want to have to chase him trough the house...

Thanks for any advise!

michael
01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
........The question most troubling me at the moment is; can I let him out of the cage already, or how long should I wait? I have been told it should be no problem to let him out as he will return back in an hour or so to get some food. Is there a risk he would not want to go back in his cage and just wants to flee? I do not want to have to chase him trough the house.........

Hi luuksteitner. .. Welcome to our community :). ... First let me say, when it comes to building parrot human relationships, there are no timelines. .. Whether it takes three weeks, or three years, too much depends on the personalities of both parties. .. From what you've described so far though, you and Yippy have already gained a fair amount of trust. .. Will the effects of having to restrain him break that trust for several months? .. I kinda doubt it, as most lovies are rather forgiving. ... Besides, you'd be surprized at what patience can do.

As for the "lice treatment", "multivitamin/antibiotic powder". .. Seems to me your kindly pet shop got a little advantagious. .. Did they even examine Yippy for indications of lice? .. These type of treatments, important as they might sound, can actually add unnecessary stress to the health and constitution of an otherwise healthy parrot. .. Worse yet, if a parrot is already suffering an illness, they can end up doing far more damage than good. ... In this case, I think Yippy's vet appointment speaks for itself. .. Glad you took him in!

Can you let him out of his cage already? ... And is there a risk he might enjoy his new found freedom to a point where you must chase him down? ... Of course there is!....:rofl:.... You know, you did mention he was eating out of your hand. .. Have you worked on "step ups" yet? .. Not only are step ups one more way of building trust, their extremely useful towards returning your bird to their cage/home. ... When you do decide to let him out, try to prepare yourself and his new environment for the worst. .. Some poeple start out in a bathroom or other small room, or, they'll somehow limit access to the rest of the house. .. As you already know, if necessary, you can also dim the lights. .. Be sure to birdproof your home as well. .. Amongst the most hazardous for flight happy birds are; Large mirrors, windows, ceiling fans, and the notorious porcelain recepticle (toilet). .. Large furniture can be a pain too. Especially should you have to move it in order to save your trapped lovie. .. Make sure all windows are secure, and, you don't have friends or family that might gingerly open the front door :omg:. .. Above all, give your self plenty of time for AFTER you let him out. .. Last thing you need before court duty, is to chase down a speeding lovebird, towel in hand. ........ Hope this helps a little. ........:)

luuksteitner
01-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Michael. I hope you're right and it doesn't take to long to get his trust back. I've heard from some other bird owners it took them many months to get the bird's trust.
He will not step up on my hand yet because he's so scared of my hand now. I'll try to have him step up on a perch first.

michael
01-13-2011, 08:14 AM
........I hope you're right and it doesn't take to long to get his trust back. I've heard from some other bird owners it took them many months to get the bird's trust.......

Many of us have had to worry the same with our birds as well. .. Although it is true there are a handful of extreme cases, from what i've seen, much of this follows the larger species. .. Unfortunately, whether its a vet appointment or otherwise, there are times where there's no choice but to use restraint. .. I think between you and Yippy though, there's plenty time ahead to work out routines. That in the first place, three weeks wasn't nearly enough time for either of you's to really get to know each other.

For now, I think its a great idea on your part to try a perch for "step ups". ... Could be that Yippy isn't quite ready yet to make acquaintance with your hands, as that in itself could take some time. .... Hope you keep us posted!..............:)