PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

sflint23
09-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey all, I just finished Vera Appleyard’s book and I was hoping I could get a couple of questions answered?

1. At what point do baby peachfaced lovebirds loose the black band on their beaks?

2. If birds should be weaned between 6-8 or 7-11 weeks, how old should a bird be to be properly socialized and placed for adoption?

3. Is it better to have a cage that is bigger lengthwise or vertically?

4. How dangerous are household cleaners like 409, Fantastic, or Pledge in a room with birds? I found a lot on Teflon, aresole, pine goods and glade-like products, but nothing on those.

Meanwhile…
Still searching for a breeder in N.Cal.

linda040899
09-17-2005, 10:26 PM
1. At what point do baby peachfaced lovebirds loose the black band on their beaks?
The dark splotch begins to lighten at about age 3 months and will be completely gone by age 4 months. Lutinos and Creaminos do not have this dark mark. Their beaks are amber colored and they change to horn colored.

2. If birds should be weaned between 6-8 or 7-11 weeks, how old should a bird be to be properly socialized and placed for adoption?
I hold my babies for at least one full week after they are completely eating on their own.

Lovebirds tend to fly horizontally so I prefer a cage that is longer rather than taller.

4. How dangerous are household cleaners like 409, Fantastic, or Pledge in a room with birds?
Very dangerous. Any one of those items is capable of making me have a hard time breathing! I don't have any of them in my home, as there are better alternatives.

Mummieeva
09-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I can answer a few of these.

Whisper is 4 months old and just now lost the last of the black on her beak

A lovebird can be socialized from a young age. They need to be eating well on own before being adopted out.

Long ways is best but others here know better how big and such.

4. How dangerous are household cleaners like 409, Fantastic, or Pledge in a room with birds? I found a lot on Teflon, aresole, pine goods and glade-like products, but nothing on those.

I do not use any cleaners in bird room other then a vaccum just to be on safe side. My birds have own room here though.

Steph

Paulette
09-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Sflint23.....Just how was Vera Applegard's book?.....I've seen it recommeded on other sites......keep in mind I like lots of color and photos as well as good information.....was it indepth?.....I don't really care for the ones that just skim over topics.

Janie
09-20-2005, 09:27 PM
My boys were hatched 5/26 and 5/28 and the black beak is gone, :cry: They have been gone for over 2 weeks. I loved those black beaks! Tonight, I found a molting feather! :omg: They are growing up way too fast!

sflint23
09-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Vera Appleyard’s handbook a good book, it’s defiantly an uncomplicated manual aimed at the novice owner/breeder, but it’s well done. As far as “indepth” goes some chapters are more comprehensive than others such as the chapter on avian health. There are full color pictures on every page, which is nice. I will say that 75%-80% of the information in the book you can find over the internet, but it’s nice to have it all in one spot and explained simply without clinical jargon. Also, it’s a fairly short read at 131 pages (I finished it in about 2 hours.) All-in-all I enjoyed The Lovebird Handbook, it’s undemanding, entertaining and well organized.

sflint23
09-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone, I really appreciate it. Meanwhile I’m still trying to locate a breeder. I wrote to 4 bird clubs and 2 vet hospitals in the Bay Area about lovebird breeders and out of the 6 only one answered back to say they had no idea and suggested I get a Parrotlet instead, *le sigh* at least they wrote back. :)

Janie
09-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Have you checked the adds in the back of BirdTalk Magazine? I would think that CA would have lots of breeders and you might be able to locate one in N. CA from those adds. Course, that is not to say how good the breeder is but if you can locate one and visit the aviary, you'd probably get a very good idea of what kind of breeder you're dealing with.

I also like the Appleyard book a lot. It was recommended to me by folks on this forum and having no pet bird experience, I gained lots of valuable information, none of which I knew before. I read it out loud, :lol, to my adopted lovie! I figured that we could both gain something from it that way.....I could learn about lovebirds and he could learn the sound of my voice while I was reading it! :D

Paulette
09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Here's a link with some California breeders and aviaries.

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradc.htm

Thanks for the recommendation on Vera Appleyard's book.....if Janie liked it too then I know I will.

Janie
09-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Paulette, it's the best book for over-all information on lovebirds that I've seen. Great for a first time pet bird owner which I was. This forum is more in depth so I've learned even more here but I do recommend that book....for one thing, the photos are beautiful! :D

Paulette
09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Janie.....I have printed a plethera of information from the internet on cockatiels and lovebirds, I have a budgie book, and I looked at a couple of lovebird books yesterday. I just like to have something to refer to. There is just so much to know. I agree that I myself have learned tons from this forum. Some of the other forums aren't like that at all and some questions never get answered. I need to subscribe to Bird Talk.

sflint23
09-21-2005, 10:18 AM
I did look at BirdTalk Magazine, and annoyingly there is only one within 100 miles is in Lafayette and they don’t keep lovebirds, go figure. I did look at the Pacifica Mickaboo Cockatiel Rescue, unfortunately most need to be adopted as a pair and I’m not quite ready for that.

The three bird rescues in Birds N Ways don’t have a website which makes me a little nervous, but if worst comes to worst.

Again thanks to everyone.

LauraO
09-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Another good way to find birds is to look in the pet ads. Of course, be prepared with lots of questions and if you meet the bird don't be afraid to pass it up if you don't find the friend you're looking for.

I have Vera Applegard's book. I love it and break it out every once in a while and read it again. I love all the pics and the info is simple but informative.

Mummieeva
09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I sent you a private message with a place that has alot of rescue info. It is called petfinder.com. I found my love birds this way.

Steph