PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about adding an African Grey to our family...

lucy
02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Hello

I have had experience with quaker's growing up. Now we have two parakeets and a lovebird that we thourougly enjoy. I am thinking about adding an African Grey to our family...I don't have any experience with larger birds but am enjoy birds and work from home so my current birds get a lot of attention and play time ;) What is everyone elses thought or experience with greys??

OOwl
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a Grey. It's important to note that information you read about parrots are generalizations about that particular parrots AVERAGE way of being. EACH parrot I've ever kept or met has been a unique individual, and they often fall far outside the general parameters of listed personality type for its kind. That said, my Grey is EXTREMELY outgoing and social (I can hand him to any stranger and he will make that person feel like he's the most important person on earth). He isn't afraid of new toys (immediately tears them to shreds). He also falls outside the "norm" for Grey behavior in that he's HORRIBLY loud. He can put any macaw, cockatoo, or even Sun Conure to SHAME. He talks well, but he mostly just screams from the sheer joy of living. This is one Grey that could NEVER be an apartment bird. So, that's something to consider when obtaining your Grey, that they are often WAY different than what your research will indicate. That said, I adore my Grey. He was a gift from a dear friend. He speaks in his voice, and will be cherished for all the rest of my life.

carrier
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Although I don't have a Grey, the only thing that comes to mind is their intelligence level and also thier lifespan. You really need to be prepared for a bird like a Grey.

I could NEVER own one. I'd be too afraid he was smarter than me! :rofl::rofl: