PDA

View Full Version : Scooooooorrreee!!!!! = D

dalime
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM
We recently went to a trustworthy pet store (its not a chain and it would give away my location if I said the name) and it has a bird guy who works there. I asked 2 questions. 1: would you recommend lovebirds?" and he said "lovebirds? no. LovebirD, yes. If you get more than 1, they will hate everything else and you'll bring your hand out bleeding from their cage." 2: "Are they loud?"
"No, but they will constantly be chattering to themselves" Other than the fact that I have a canary, that was the only thing keeping my mom from getting me one (the volume). So, now I'm inching my way slowly to lovebird ownership. WOOOH! :happy:

dalime
02-12-2011, 12:30 PM
P.S. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section

linda040899
02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
No problem. That's an easy fix!

Methinks that someone at the pet shop needs a bit of educating! How tame lovebirdS will be with you depends on how much attention they get from you. All of my lovies have companions, yet my personal pets are still friendly with me because I interact with them on a daily basis. Ignore them and they will ignore you. It's just that simple.

gizmodium
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
i agree my little lovebird is a only lovebird but she is my baby she i spent quality time with her everyday and she is adorable the only time she ever bites is if i put my hand in HER cage but otherwise she loves her tickles and travels everywhere with me on my shoulder.

Bubblelady
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
No problem. That's an easy fix!
How tame lovebird will be with you depends on how much attention they get from you. It's just that simple.

Unless they are named Johari :rofl: Well, I guess in a way what you say is true, Linda. She is VERY friendly & wants to be on me all the time. She just thinks social interaction involves blood letting! :omg:

carrier
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I had Fenway as a single bird for several months before I adopted Wrigley. Fenway was VERY attached to me as an only bird, and from the time I came home till he went to bed he was on my person. I brought Wrigley in because I decided Fenway would be better off with a lovebird as a companion. And in my opinion he is. They are very well bonded now. BUT, they both have bonds with me and when out of cage often hang out on my body. I agree with Linda- even if you have a pair if you interact with them daily they will form a bond with you that doesn't go away..
Be careful, though....lovebirds can be highly addictive! :rofl:

Buy A Paper Doll
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
We recently went to a trustworthy pet store (its not a chain and it would give away my location if I said the name) and it has a bird guy who works there. I asked 2 questions. 1: would you recommend lovebirds?" and he said "lovebirds? no. LovebirD, yes. If you get more than 1, they will hate everything else and you'll bring your hand out bleeding from their cage." 2: "Are they loud?"
"No, but they will constantly be chattering to themselves" Other than the fact that I have a canary, that was the only thing keeping my mom from getting me one (the volume). So, now I'm inching my way slowly to lovebird ownership. WOOOH! :happy:

I'm going to disagree. :)

1. I have two lovebirds. They are bonded to each other, and they are bonded to me. This is the best of both worlds in my opinion because, since I can not be with my lovebirds 24 hours a day, they have each other when I cannot be with them.

2. My birds do chatter to themselves. But they are LOUD. I have one that can scream louder than a commercial leaf blower. I'm not kidding.

I'll add a couple more as well.

3. My birds are messy. They throw seed out of the cage, sometimes a good 3-4 feet away. And sometimes they manage to get poop on the wall behind their cage.

4. My birds, even though they are both very tame and love to be with me, they bite sometimes. Milo bit me when he was a single bird, and he bit me when he had a mate.

Pips mom
02-13-2011, 12:41 PM
2. My birds do chatter to themselves. But they are LOUD. I have one that can scream louder than a commercial leaf blower. I'm not kidding.

4. My birds, even though they are both very tame and love to be with me, they bite sometimes. Milo bit me when he was a single bird, and he bit me when he had a mate.

Hahaha.....I have to totally agree with these two things! I've always said about Rudy that I have the loudest lovebird in the world! Amazing how loud this little bird can be! and bite?? ahhhh, my little monster boy! got me twice on the nose a few weeks ago!

dalime
02-13-2011, 05:44 PM
I can take the biting and stuff, and like one bird for one heart said on another post, even if they are loud we'll get used to them so.... yep.

dalime
02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Haha! I was sort of drunk on sugar and in a hurry on that last post, (don't ask) and its funny to look at the stupid things I wrote. Anyway, I'm starting to realize, it seems like a regular thing that you lose blood due to lovebirds on a daily basis. So a question, could somebody make a list on the good and bad things about parrotlets, and how they are alike and different to lovebirds? thanks! :blush:

diljaa
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
That guy is WRONG!
1. LovebirdS is fine, you can keep them in separate cages too, I do with mine and they are totally awesome and they love spending time with their humans!
2. Lovebirds can be really loud! They don't chatter like budgies do, they vocalize a lot and call out for you. Their voices are really high pitched and a lot of people I know cover their ears when my guys want to join in on a conversation.

Enko_chan
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I am also going to disagree with the person from the bird shop! My lovebirds are bonded to each other but they are also bonded to me. They are also bonded to another human person. It all has to do with their temperaments and how we have socialized them. These two, however, are not loud birds. They simply are not. I have had noisy lovebirds in the past, but these two are quieter than my parrotlets. They're healthy, active and playful and they love attention but they do not make a lot of noise. I could not be happier with the social dynamic I have with my lovebirds, as they are so bonded with each other that they aren't as dependent on me, yet they are still over the moon to spend time with me every day.

dalime
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM
oh and lovebirds. Apparently the sugar hadn't worn off...