PDA

View Full Version : Lovebirds in the wild

kadee
02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
As I continue to read about the behavior of lovies that are domesticated, it seems they begin to breed almost immediately after the chicks are hatched. My question is, in the wild, with this particular behavior, how do they live so long, because I would think that constant egg laying and clutches one after the other would cause the hen to have very poor health.

linda040899
02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Breeding in the wild is quite different for Lovebirds than breeding in captivity. They are native to Africa and the African climate can be quite harsh for them. Temperatures swing from very hot to very cold. In fact, in the wild, proper breeding conditions occur only once/yr for them and that coincides with the rainy season. Rain means enough food so they can feed the babies they hatch. The rest of the year, the climate is too harsh.

Bubblelady
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
At Johari's check up the vet commented that we have also contributed to the captive breeding behaviors by deliberately selecting good breeders to produce more birds until we have enhanced their productivity. Don't know if that's true, but the vet thinks so. When i commented that maybe I should return Johari to the breeder, since she seems SO much wanting to be a mom. Vet's response:"Bad idea! We don't need any carbon copies of her!"

personatus
02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
lovebirds will breed whenever nature allows it. In captivity, we dictate nature and give them everything they need to breed. Lovebirds dont have to be hormone raged egg machines - we make them that way :)

kadee
02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you so much for answering my question.

Bubblelady
02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
l. Lovebirds dont have to be hormone raged egg machines - we make them that way :)

I'm trying not to! Honest I am. Johari just isn't listening. At her last checkup the vet commented that we have created these "hormore raged egg machines" by selective breeding. Don't know if that's the case or not. But when I commented that maybe I should return Johari to the breeder since she is soooooo interested becoming a mamma. To which the vet replied: "No! We don't need a bunch of carbon copies of her!"

So, Personatus, while I have your attention:
1. Do you think the vet is right? That a hormone enraged hen shouldn't be encouraged to breed.

2. And if that's NOT the case, would Johari having only one foot present problems for brooding....it sure doesn't cause her any other problems!

3. Would her being born with matabolic bone disease contraindicate her becoming a mamma?

I'm not totally set on rehoming her, but I sure am tired of the blood letting!