PDA

View Full Version : Any Budgie Breeders Here?

Paulette
09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I have babies today they either hatched in the night or this morning, at least 2 because I can hear them cheeping every couple of hours and then they are quiet. Is it safe to think mama is feeding them if they get quiet? The male has been feeding her diligently even before she layed any eggs and he is eating everything I put in there: shredded carrots (loves it), eggs (a little), birdie bread (a little), seed and cuttle bone. I gave him 1/4 pc wheat bread with peanut butter dipped in a finch seed mix with flax seed, but he was not impressed at all with it.

linda040899
09-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi Paulette,
My daughter had a pair of budgies that bred but I don't know as much about them as I do lovebirds. Budgies tend to be very noisy when they are hungry so quiet, to me, would indicate that they are fed and content. Will momma budgie let you take a peek at her little ones?

Paulette
09-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi Linda.....there is one teensy weensy little baby. I did get a good look at it, it's pink and it's crop was creamy and full looking. A budgie breeder said I need to move them to a nest box when the first chick is 7 days old. They are in an Orange Juice box laying on it's side with folded paper towel because I couldn't find a box to save my life. I just got a budgie box with my new lovies. I tried giving her the next box last night, but she wouldn't go in it so I had to give her back the OJ box and she wouldn't return to it either, but the chick was not chirping, I trapped her in it to warm the chick up. Let her out, put the birds to bed, shut the door and prayed she'd return to the box. She was in there this morning and I can hear cheeping every couple of hours. I'm not going to mess with them for 6 days and I don't even know if I will move them then. She is startled so easily. I should have done better for her to begin with. That chip on my shoulder (from thinking I'm so smart) just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

linda040899
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Paulette,
My daughter's pair never would use a nestbox so all her babies grew up on the bottom of the cage. They did very well and Princess even tolerated me cleaning the bottom of the cage almost every day. The box they are in is probably where you need to leave them. Next time, you may not be so lucky. Don't mess with momma's nest! :)

Paulette
09-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks Linda.....yes, I agree 100 %. I can hear her turning the eggs over. Papa was clear up in there helping her with the chick. I gave him apple and cabbage today, he doesn't like it as well as carrots. I really want these babies. The cheer mom who lost her daughter really wants a socialized one that she can teach to talk and was hoping for one from the May clutch. She had one as a child and taught it to talk. I hope to keep a couple for myself and do the same.