PDA

View Full Version : Really Strange Behaviour

welshlovebird
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi i had 1 hand reared lovebird and i thought id get him a friend well i call him a him but im not sure if hes male or female:) when i got this new bird who is a stunning fischer, when they met for the first time it looked like love at first site they started to preen each other and then they started to feed eachother i was really happy at this and they are know inseprable but the really strange thing that the new bird is doing is tootying down on its perch opening its wing putting its bum in the air moving its tail and looks like its vibrating very fast bobbing up and down but only when my little franky goes to him/her any 1 had this happen before i was just wonderin and i appologise for this really long post but any help really appreciated :)

linda040899
02-26-2011, 04:21 PM
This sounds like mating behavior and it's my guess that your new lovebird is most likely a female.

With any new bird, you really should have quarantined the newcomer for a minimum of 30 days to make sure that he/she is healthy and not in the incubation stage of any illness. This is for the safety of your existing bird.

welshlovebird
02-27-2011, 04:41 AM
hiya thank you for replying i hope they are male and female fingers crossed lol well they are inseprable she still does that behaviour about once a day know little franky is like what are you doing i think hes a bit young to breed as hes only about 6months a think possibly younger :)

kimsbirds
02-27-2011, 07:57 PM
IF she is ready to breed, and he is too young to breed, she'll get frustrated and his life will be at stake. Hens can and do kill males who cannot meet their needs reproductively. Please have them DNA'ed or go back to seperate cages. Additionally, are they both fischer? You won't want to condone mating and baby raising if these two are of different species.
Just my :2cents: