PDA

View Full Version : Oh no :(

racholio
03-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm in a predicament. One of my lovebirds died recently leaving one behind. I hadnt decided whether or not I was going to buy another lovie or not. But then yesterday I came home from work to find my parents had decided to surprise me by buying me another one and they'd already put it in the cage with my other bird. Only thing is they havent taken to each other very well. Naughty, my bird keeps attacking the new one and wont let her come near him without pecking at her. She's peach faced but I'm sure I can see a scratch where he's bitten her.

What should I do? :(

romie12321
03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
i would put the new bird in a cage by her self. if they are fighting

maya_exquisite
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
As said above, they should definitely be separated. House the new bird in another cage. You don't want to come home to see something even worse has happened.

Also, you need to check out how bad the scratch/bite is - you want to avoid it getting infected! I'm guessing if there's no blood it's not THAT bad, but just make sure.

racholio
03-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I've only got the one cage because yeah, I wasnt planning on any of this happening :( I'm not sure if slowly they're making progress because earlier Naughty wouldnt let the new bird sit on the same perch as him but now they are on the same perch sleeping next to each other...but this could just be a one time thing maybe.

linda040899
03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Naughty is still mourning the loss of a companion and I'm not surprised at the reaction! Putting the 2 of them together like this is not a good thing and I would get a second cage, even if you have to borrow one. Naughty is perfectly capable of killing your new lovebird and that's the big concern right now.

Your mom's heart was in the right place but it happened too soon. Separate them.

racholio
03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
No one I know has another cage. I thought of that the minute I got home so I phoned around. I'm really pretty stuck.

kadee
03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Do you know anyone or have a friend who could contact someone to find one for you? Perhaps you could go to the Pet Store early in the morning and pick up one, even if it is a smaller cage, until you could find a bigger one at a reasonable price. Anything to secure the safety of your new little baby lovie!:omg: