PDA

View Full Version : Not a lovie question

LauraO
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm wondering if anyone on the board who has larger parrots finds it harder to keep them on a healthy diet. I say this because Cookie (Meyer;s Parrot) has developed an interest in the kitchen and anything I am doing in it or eating. Of course, I give him the standard healthy birdy things and try to keep him away from the bad stuff, but he is smart. VERY SMART! He seems to know when I'm eating things he shouldn't have and torments me until I relent and give him some. Luckily, I usually have something that's relatively healthy in my bowl and will let him taste that, or if I'm eating a cookie I will pick out the walnut and give it to him.......But I admit it's a struggle because he gives me that sweet vulnerable look that tells me nothing would make him happier than having a bite of whatever I'm having :rolleyes:

bellarains
09-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Luckily, I usually have something that's relatively healthy in my bowel and will let him taste that, or if I'm eating a cookie I will pick out the walnut and give it to him

OK, you know I couldn't pass that one up :lol

All my birds think they are supposed to have what ever it is I'm eating, and I do try and eat with them, as they seem to enjoy "sharing" the meal, but I give them their healthy plate, while mine usually has something on it they don't have. Cappie has developed a Dorito fettish though as my hubby usually snacks on those when we get home at night. I do let him have a little piece, but if he gets too adamant, I just have to put him back on his cage top with some apples. That usually does the trick :)

jknezek
09-21-2005, 11:17 AM
My ekkie believed that what I was eating he should be eating. It's how his first owner treated him so he had sips of coffee, small bits of chocolate and every other thing she ate. His feathers were awful. Since I got him he is not allowed on me when I eat. Also, I make sure that when I eat he has the option of being in his cage with his food since eating is a flock activity. As a rule, I don't feed Kiwi anything I'm eating where I'm eating. He is not allowed my snacks or food off my plate or spoon.

Why? Because I don't want him to get confused on why he gets it some days and not others. I know a lot of people that allow their birds to eat off their plates and then have problems keeping their birds away from what is not good for them. Well, guess what? Your bird doesn't understand why he can some days and not others. Be consistent and eventually he will learn. Kiwi knows that if I'm eating something that is healthy I will put it in one of his bowls, either in his cage or on one of his playstands. But he also knows he cannot eat off my plate and he no longer expects to be with me when I'm eating. It took several months to get to this point.