PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start with a parent reared lovebird?

Steph
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I got Bill yesterday, he is around 16 weeks or a little less and was parent reared. He cant fly and doesn't have great balance. He has gained a lot in confidence since I got hin yesterday and now is running up and down his cage floor trying to get some attention but every time I put my hand near the cage he dives for the snuggle hut! I thought I knew how to start off when I got him but now I am terrified of doing the wrong thing! I haven't opened the cage yet, he was too tired and frightened yesterday and today I haven't had a long time spare to let him out in case I cant get him back in again. I'm going to get the kids off to bed and put the dog in the kitchen and put his cage on the floor and just open the door and see if he fancys comming out. Should I avoid physically picking him up or touching him at all right now? It would just be really good to hear some of your experiences of taming a parent reared bird and if anyone has any tips to help me out!

bookworm0550
03-21-2011, 11:38 PM
i would open the cage door and if he wants to come out, he will. just take it slow and try not to put too much pressure on him. offer him treats. i would avoid grabbing him or touching him for now because you want to work on trust right now. to grab him or touch him when he doesn't want to only makes it worse (personal experience and they still hate my hands to this day!). i would say treats and just hanging out w/ him, talking to him, doing the little things like that so that he gets comfortable w/ you and his new surrounding. some birds take longer to adjust to their new homes than others.

is your other bird tame? when quarantine is over and you start introducing them, i feel like the tame birds help the more wild ones calm down just by seeing the interactions between you two, they realize you are not gonna hurt them.

can i ask why he's unable to fly? are his wings just really bad? keep us posted :)

Steph
03-22-2011, 04:12 AM
Hi, it looks like a genetic defect, one of his wings seems to be turned a little too far round, the whole clutch was the same. The kids have been singing him songs which he seems to enjoy! He has been pretty nervous when the kids are around but he is warming to them. I was hoping that him seeing how comfortable sookie is around us would help, what a racket they have been making, was woken up this morning with the two of them calling to each other! Hopefully they will quiet down a little when they are together and they wont need to shout so loud to hear each other but it is nice to hear, i just hope they get on.