PDA

View Full Version : brothers????

peteandtilly
03-24-2011, 05:08 PM
well i just confirmed that the "brothers" kiwi and tweety bird are actually brother and sister!!!! they have been together since birth and i bought them together.. should i worry about them breeding?? should i separate them??

Chickobee
03-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Unless you want babies from this pair I would separate them. Some lovebirds will not lay eggs until a nestbox is provided but my experience has been that when there is a male x female pair, whether or not they are related, they will want to reproduce. Period.

A nesty hen is a fearsome thing, and nothing is more determined than one who wants to breed!!!

peteandtilly
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I have these two brother and sister from one set of parents born dec 08 and another set of brothers from different parents born aug 10 any ideas on how or if to house them... both sets of sibbling have been together since birth??

linda040899
03-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Male lovebirds are normally very happy campers when housed together. The dynamics change when you add females. You might be able to put all of them in one large, neutral flight cage but you run the risk of brother/sister bonding and potentially producing offspring. If nothing else, you should be able to keep all the males together. It's going to be a matter of trial and error to see what works. :)

peteandtilly
03-25-2011, 06:33 AM
so i could put the brother of the brother x sister pair in with the 2 brothers and see how they work out...... will it be ok to add him to the cage that the 2 boys already have.... and then i can just leave the female in the cage by herself beside the boys !!! women eh,will fight with each other and the guys...lol

kadee
03-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Seems to me the "fid" species is just one step down from the "human" species! All you have to do is add a "woman" into the mix and the "fun" begins! I had a flock of what I thought were 5 male parakeets. And out of the blue, came the reality I had a "female" because the usual "behavior" began, with ALL of the males pursuing the female. It was quite a surprise because they had all been in the same cage together for quite sometime! So I separated the male and female who had bonded, and low and behold had the cutest four chicks ever! :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl