PDA

View Full Version : Birds won't eat pellet

Carl
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I've been trying to get my birds to start eating pellets instead of just the seed mix I used to give them as it's supposed to be healthier, but they won't touch it whenever I feed them it. Anyone have any tips on how to get them to eat it?

linda040899
04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I, personally, feed a varied diet that consists of seed as the base, with lots of fresh food and about 10% pellets. Per my avian vet, the diet of small birds should not contain more than 40% pellets but my guys are doing just fine with a lesser amount. The trick is to get them to eat fresh/other food that is healthy for them so the need for pellets becomes less. Sprouted seed is an excellent source of nutrition so give that some consideration.

maya_exquisite
04-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I had tried time and time again in the past to get my birds on pellets. I had originally followed the advice of local breeders here and gave my birds all seed when I first got into lovebirds. Little did I know there was a wealth of knowledge online, but by the time I had found it, it was somewhat "too late" because Mika is SUCH a picky eater. He rarely eats any veggies (though I still offer it).

For me, the trick was using ZuPreem fruit blend (in the small size for less waste) as the "intro" pellet. This was a pellet I really didn't want my bird eating because of the artificial colors and flavors, but I had heard a lot of birds converted easier on it. My lovebird took to eating that junk pretty quickly. It was funny because he would only eat the orange ones and, in turn, his poop would be orange. Once he was on those pellets for a few months, I switched over to Harrison's and he transitioned flawlessly. When we buy a bigger house and have more pantry space, I'm thinking of adding Roudybush or TOPS to mix in with the Harrison's.

Nutriberries, Harrison's, and dried veggies are his staple diet in his cage when I'm at work since I can't leave any type of fresh foods or dried fruits in the cage or ants/small roaches will attract INSTANTLY. When I'm home and he's out and about, he LOOOOOOOVES sprouts. I'm glad he loves sprouts, 'cause it doesn't make me feel as bad that Mika won't really eat fresh fruit/veggies.

Anyway, back to the original question - try ZuPreem fruit blend if you haven't yet. I really think it's the "gateway" pellet. :rotfl

shadnamber
04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
the "gateway pellet" :rofl:
Maya you make me laugh! that's good insight though, thanx for sharing.

Carl
04-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I, personally, feed a varied diet that consists of seed as the base, with lots of fresh food and about 10% pellets. Per my avian vet, the diet of small birds should not contain more than 40% pellets but my guys are doing just fine with a lesser amount. The trick is to get them to eat fresh/other food that is healthy for them so the need for pellets becomes less. Sprouted seed is an excellent source of nutrition so give that some consideration.
Yeah, I give them fruit like oranges and grapes, but they only nibble on it. I guess I'll have to see if that 'gateway pellet' will work on them.

diljaa
04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
If I managed to get my picky eater to eat pellets you surely can ;)

Here's a thread a made about the whole process: http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?18326-The-story-of-Pixel-and-his-breakthrough.&highlight=story+of+pixel

I recently started buying mixes from an online store called Mysafebirdstore and that has all kinds of dried veggies and fruit and pellets in it. Pixel has recently started to eat it after me offering it for weeks! Just NEVER give up ;)

Glam
04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Holly has a mix of pellets, seeds, nuts and dried fruits... she eats everything but the pellets just land up as a huge mess of crumbs, so not sure if any of them are ever making inside her stomach :)

michael
04-14-2011, 07:13 AM
.........she eats everything but the pellets just land up as a huge mess of crumbs, so not sure if any of them are ever making inside her stomach :)

As long as Holly's leaving pellet crumbs behind, then she's most likely consuming them. .. Of course, some parrots will leave behind more crumbs than others. ... Especially Goofy lovebird...he eats like a real piggy.....:nyah: