PDA

View Full Version : Happy Huts...good or bad??

trish1172
04-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I purchased a happy hut that looks kind of like a tree when I first got my lovie Tango. I have read conflicting views on having these in the cage. I read that these can make them more territorial, so I removed it from his cage about 2 weeks ago and I only put it back in at night before I cover his cage.

Do these huts make lovies more territorial or not?:confused:

Thanks,
Trish

linda040899
04-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Females, yes. Males, no. Leaving it in the cage only for sleeping is the best way to use Happy Huts. Hens tend to see them as potential nests and many will use them for breeding purposes if there's nothing else available. Always check the Happy Hut for signs of chewing damage. Birds have died in these because they got caught in threads that became frayed and turned something good into a death trap.

personatus
04-16-2011, 10:54 AM
For me, it's a bad!

I'm not for happyhuts of any kind. Don't think they are necessary at all.

Very young birds that have just been seperated from the parents - yes
disabled birds who can't perch comfortably - yes

Anything else is a no for me! Best thing I ever did was remove all sleepy huts from my birds! :rotfl

thebubbleking
04-18-2011, 03:30 PM
And ofcourse i am of the opposite opinion my fids all love thier huts and when it get drafty or they dont feel like interacting they have somewhere to go. But i agree if you use huts or hut type sleeping areas check both inside and out for loose threads etc! If it is even begining to unravel remove it asap!

shadnamber
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
If you are into sewing or making your own that might be a better way to make sure that they are bird safe. I have seen pictures on this website somewhere of some homemade ones that looked and seemed very bird comfy.:)