PDA

View Full Version : "Plus" only family now...

Bubblelady
04-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Well, Gussie & I have been lovebirdless for a couple of months now. She is definately happier being an only bird. And Johari seems to be happier being a flock bird. She still remembers me & rushes to greet me whenever I visit. But still tries to bite, given half a chance :omg: Her new fidma's comments have progressed from "She's such a SWEET bird" to "My, she's really a different bird when she's out of the cage, isn't she?" to "She's a MEAN one!" But they still want to keep her & she seems quite content & not desperate to get out of the cage at all. Marvin (Fischer's male) has shown some interest in her, but still seems to prefer his buddy, "Binky" (normal peachface male) Johari shares a duplex cage with Bob, a pied peachface male, who is reportedly showing "respectful" interest in her. Meaning he follows her when they are out, but at a "respectful" distance. What do you want to bet that she has bitten him at some point? Her flock mates also include a green cheek conure (Donny Patrick), a bonded pair of eckis (Kiwi & Chichi), a canary, and various boarding birds. This week that included a linolated parakeet--who had just laid an egg. What a BEAUTIFUL bird. I'd never seen one before. Regular boarders also include a slupher crested cockatoo (Nadia) and a hybrid crow-raven. Now THAT's an awesome bird! Anyway, I still have some regrest about giving up on a bird--the 1st time ever. But the truth is, it does seem to have been the right choice. Gussie is playing more, talking more, snuggling more, beak-grinding more. In other words she doesn't miss the feathered pirranah one bit. But I haven't been without a lovebird in more than 20 years & I'm in a real quandry. Do I try again, & go back to being a one-bird flock? Decisions, decisions!!!!

linda040899
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Maureen,
Sounds like the decision is a good one for Johari and that was always the main point of the change. Some birds just are not suited to be pets and Johari could be one of them. Gussie is happier so the only thing not quite right is that you miss having a lovebird.......

But I haven't been without a lovebird in more than 20 years & I'm in a real quandry. Do I try again, & go back to being a one-bird flock? Decisions, decisions!!!!
Your heart will let you know when it's made its choice!

bird-brain
04-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Maureen, I am sorry that all of this has been so tough for you. I am happy that Gussie is doing well with the change and that Johari seems to be happily terrorizing her new neighborhood. :D I know how hard the decision was to give her up and that you agonized over it for a long time. Give yourself a break this time around on the decision about a new bird. Don't over think it. I have had the opportunity to give good homes to many birds that needed them. Some I have said yes and some I have said no and at the end of the day i am not sure I could tell you WHY I took one and not another. I think it's as Linda said, your heart will know so give yer head a rest for a while ;)