PDA

View Full Version : The Teenagers are acting up

mother_hen7
09-22-2005, 11:50 AM
I have 2 babies one is a little behind the other. I figure this is since one was a day or 2 older. Or was he/she aggresive at feeding time?? These babies are 52 days old and the oldest is acting like a teenager. At night he dosn't ant to go to bed and dad Parry is after him to go into the nest. My question is do you think its time to look at separating them. This oldest baby eats well on his own and is practicing his flying. Once in awhile we have to pick him up and put him back in the cage. What do you think guys.

I promise I'm working on getting pictures to a web site. Hopefully soon.

Thanks
Sandy :happy:

LauraO
09-22-2005, 12:22 PM
It may still be a little early to separate the babies. I usually do it between two and three months or when mom and dad begin getting aggresive and not letting them in the nestbox/cage...At 52 weeks dad is still raising and socializing the babies even though they are eating on their own. Even after I've separated babies, my daddy bird still preans and hangs out with his babies until they are 4-6 months.

Good luck :)

Jezz
09-22-2005, 08:03 PM
I usually sperate the babies from the parents 2 weeks after they fledge, i usually get a bit lazy though and leave them in for another 3 weeks though :evil:

LauraO
09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Jeremy: It's not laziness on my part, but I don't want to break up a family who is happy :rolleyes: .

mother_hen7
09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I hate to tell you this but the family is not happy anymore. My daughter came home yesterday and the strongest baby was in the nest and looked pretty hurt. Dad was all over him to get out. As it looks mom has laid more eggs and there buying the kids luggage for Christmas. The 2 babies are eating and flying on there own. But they can't keep still in their new cage. Dad looks like he is missing them Even though they are side by side. It didn't look good for the babies...I was quite worried we would loose the babies as they weren't moving or reacting when we took them out. Do you have any suggestions?? We tried putting the babies back but Dad went right after both of them... :confused:

Sandy

Janie
09-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Sandy, I've never had babies but from what you said, removing them and putting them in another cage was definitely the right and only thing to do for their safety. Someone else who has experienced this will be able to tell you if they can ever go back in with dad but I have no idea if that's a possibility, especially with more eggs laid.

Jezz
09-23-2005, 08:42 PM
If the mother has laid eggs again, it would not be a good idea to put the babies back in. I have a Hen that doesn't mind the kids hanging around when she has eggs, but all birds are different.

Just keep a close eye on the babies, make sure they are all eating and drinking.

LauraO
09-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Sandy: It was good that you removed the babies. If they got hurt enough to bleed or have other damage I would take them to the vet as lovies can get secondary bacterial infections from this sort of trauma......You can also put a cozy, nexstbox, or something else the babies can sleep in in their cage as they are still young and can use the security. You have some choices when it comes to dad. You can keep him with the babies as he may still be feeding the babies a couple times a day, and he can visit and sleep with mom. Or you could keep him with mom and let him visit the babies. While it's usually the hen that hurts the babies in this situation, it's good idea to monitor dad with the babies to make sure all is well.

Good Luck

Rubygem
09-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Since I pull my babies to hand feed I do not have this problem, and I pull the nest box when it is time to take the babies so that my pair can not double clutch, and I can keep control on how often they breed…(for the most part..always depends on if I have a hen that is more determined than I am…:lol)

Now saying all this, I have a book that I’m not real crazy about, but it was great when I first started breeding. It is really out dated (copyright of 1991). The book is “The Professional’s book of Lovebirds by John Coborn on Pg 114”
“After fledging, the cock bird will usually continue to feed the young for a few days, but they should soon start feeding themselves. During this time one should keep a close watch for signs of aggression from the parents as, should they want to go to nest again, there is a danger that the hen will attack and seriously injure (or even kill) youngsters from the first brood if they are left in the same quarters. The youngsters should be moved to a holding cage or aviary until one decides which are going to be kept for future breeding and which are to be sold.”

So please pull the babies from the parents.

Rubygem

mother_hen7
09-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Great news
An update on the teens.

I have put them in a separate cage with lots of toys, different dishes of food and water. Also a little house that came from a hampster that they can play and sleep in. They are doing well. I did hand feed them one day and gave them some water as well. I went to a pet store and got them some food that is easier for them to eat and digest. It's based on egg. I spoke to a manager who seemed quite knowlegable. I was just worried that they weren't taking in any water. So a couple times a day I hand feed them with they water.

Yesterday I introuduced Dad back to them but he wasn't to interested in them. He was more interested in what they had in their cage. He was pecking at the teens so I put him back with the hen who is sitting on 3 eggs. Every time I look in the nest she has laid another one. Go forth and multiply I guess.

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

Sandy :happy:

BarbieH
09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Good move Sandy. :) As long as the youngsters are eating and drinking on their own, or with help from you, they don't need dad and all is well. :):)

Well done!

LauraO
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Great news Sandy. I'm glad the teens are doing well :D .