PDA

View Full Version : nocturnal bird

DallyTsuka
04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
well the other night i was up (im a night owl) and at 3 am i heard one of the birds eating. it was mango. his cage is covered and its dark in his cage but there he was eating in his food dish. ate for ten minutes then went up to his perch and went back to bed. then today he did the same thing. 3 am and i hear him eating. so i figured maybe its a habit of his. but then i hear the hamster wheel going. he was running in his wheel! then he slept in it! what a weird bird. is it normal for them to do stuff like this?

linda040899
04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Sometimes birds get hungry during the night and will go to their food dishes even in the darkness. I have night lights for all my birds for just this very reason. While it may not be common, it's probably just something he needed/wanted and after that, it was back to sleep. 12 hrs is a long time to go with nothing to eat..... :)

DallyTsuka
04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
ok was just wondering, thought it was weird lol
i have a nightlight on as well (male tiel prone to nightfrights)

CHIris83
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
A hamster wheel? do the lovies play with that?

linda040899
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
A hamster wheel? do the lovies play with that?
It's not the norm but some will. :) In the mind of a parrot, anything can be turned into a toy for them to enjoy....... :omg:

DallyTsuka
04-19-2011, 04:03 PM
both of mine run in it lol. mango's better at it, but both picked it up the first day. i alternate it each week. one week mango has it but the next munch has it. this way they can both enjoy it in their own cages. but mango also discovered he can sleep in it...

thebubbleking
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
mine have midnight snacks and altho i have a hamster wheel noone plays in it lol

DallyTsuka
04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
really? is it that uncommon for them to play with them? i seen it on youtube so i wanted to try it... so i got a free one from kijiji but asked for plastic with no spokes... and i got one. and they took to it the first day. i see people use the spoke ones and metal ones but i worry about toes getting caught or feet or legs... and metal i worry on metal poisoning.