PDA

View Full Version : Aggression when covered.

StaticMoot
04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Just a curiousity I'm having about Ezio. Whenever he's covered by a blanket or a towel or anything of that type, he turns into a little monster. He pokes his head out or sits a couple inches inside and if anything moves in front of the opening, he strikes like a little snapping turtle. Is this a nesting behavior? Or is he just getting bold because he feels safer when covered? Thanks!

linda040899
04-19-2011, 09:28 AM
What you are seeing is protective aggression behavior. Ezio views the covered cage as a safe site for him and no one/nothing is welcome near where he is. Hens do this with their nesting areas so you can equate the two with each other. Basically, he's telling you that this is HIS place and he doesn't want you near it!

StaticMoot
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Gotcha, so pretty standard lovie behavior then. Sorry for all the questions, I'm a brand new bird owner(lovie slave) and all my knowledge is just from books. Thankfully that aggression only happens if we have a blanket outside his cage that he burrows himself under. He's not cage aggresive at all and even steps up out of the cage now.

Thanks again for the prompt reply, Linda!

linda040899
04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Not a problem! Each and every one of us was new to lovebirds at one time so we've all been in your position. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask and should have!! :)