PDA

View Full Version : Can I seperate?

Emmarose
04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Well, I posted in the biting about babies possibly, but none to be had. :very_sad:

Anyway, my mom is now scared of Layla, the one who was quiet vicious when protecting eggs and she doesn't want to try to tame her now. Is it possible to seperate them now, I would take one back to my house to work with her. :confused:

We were told they were 10 months when we got them, I'm assuming they have been together, at least for the 3 or so months we have had them.

linda040899
04-23-2011, 10:14 PM
As long as Layla has eggs, she's going to be very aggressive in protecting them! That's just what happens when hens have eggs. Nothing will change it so leave her to her eggs and worry about taming her later.

Is the other bird also a female? Are they housed together? If the other bird is a suspected male, leave them together until the clutch is finished.

Emmarose
04-24-2011, 07:39 AM
We were told Rosco is a male, but he was the one "nesting" on the eggs. So finally its been about 35+ days and he came out of the nest, he'd go back in and out but I think they gave up so I removed the eggs and the house they were in. I shined a flashlight thru the eggs and they were not fertilized or whatever the correct term is.

I'm just worried if they are like other animals if they get sad or lonely without the other one, I don't want to put their health in danger. I'll bring them both with me and work on them here, I just don't have the time to keep going to mom's everyday, I have two small kids at home.

Thanks again.

linda040899
04-24-2011, 08:49 AM
If Roscoe is the one who was sitting on the eggs, "he" is a she. Only females incubate.

Taking them both with you is probably the best idea. House them in side by side cages if necessary. That way, they can still see each other and you will be able to work with them individually. Make sure there is nothing in either cage that might be viewed as a nesting place and nothing to shred so either of them can build a nest.