PDA

View Full Version : Sleeps where?

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
So Yoshi sleeps hanging on the side of the cage at night. I thought it was maybe a balancing issue but he takes his naps on the perch using only one foot. So he has plenty of balance. I have a swing, perch with different widths, a wooden 1/2 inch perch, and a cement perch in his cage. During the day, he spends most his time on the swing and on the one with different widths. But at night, he's glued to the side. Is this normal?

I use a red cage cover....so I last night I changed it to the green one but he still slept on the side of the cage.

I've only owned parakeets before. They hardly ever messed with the sides of the cage. They were perch lovers all the way.

I've also ordered him a happy hut but I'm now concerned about using it because it's possible he could be a she.

I don't mind him sleeping there but I'm just concerned there is an underlying cause to this.. Plus I would think his beak and feet would get soar from hanging on.

linda040899
05-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Try attaching a perch where he's sleeping. He obviously likes that one spot so all you can do is give him an alternative in that same location. Many parrots will sleep in one foot, as it conserves body heat. Some members offer Happy Huts to females but only put them in the cage for sleeping purposes at night. One of the safety issues with huts is that many lovebirds will chew the fabric and then you run the risk of body parts getting entangled in the threads. Happy Huts should be checked frequently because of this potential problem.

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Well he has several different spots. LOL

I'll try to put a perch near one of them.

How do I introduce the happy hut when it gets here? Do I just put it in there or do I need to sit it near his cage first so he can see it won't hurt him? I know sometimes birds get freaked out by new things.

linda040899
05-03-2011, 10:20 AM
You can try letting him investigate the hut outside of his cage while he's with you. Perhaps play a game with him and see if he will go in it or through it. Rewards will make any experience positive....... :whistle:

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
That's a great idea. I will definitely do that. Thanks Linda for all your help from Day One.

personatus
05-03-2011, 11:16 AM
A few of my aviary birds sleep whilst clung to the side of the cage. 2 of them sleep whilst hanging from the roof, which is odd :confused: I just leave them too it, there's plenty of places they can sleep, if they choose to sleep in what appears to be an uncomfortable place, then it's upto them lol!

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 11:43 AM
That's good to know that Yoshi isn't the only one. I feel better now.

And since he has other spots to sleep, I'm sure he's just picking his favorite. :happy:

cp.lovebird
05-03-2011, 02:05 PM
My senior lovie Squeaky likes to sleep sitting on top of the pointy cuttlebone! I felt bad for him so I broke the pointy tip off. :rofl: I think my birds like to sleep in the highest spot possible in the cage. I guess they like to feel safe and comfy and that is where they sleep even if it looks silly to us!

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Yea, as long as he likes it, I guess there's no harm in it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a symptom of something serious. Thanks everyone.

Mummieeva
05-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I had a bird named Drac... short for Dracula. Not because he bit but because he slept almost hanging upside down.lol

Steph

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
:omg: LOL

Pips mom
05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Pip does this too.....when he sleeps in his cage, he always has one foot attached to the side of the cage and one on a toy. He did this when I first got him too, and he still prefers it. I guess just because it looks awkward to us, doesn't mean that they aren't comfortable. I figure they'll sleep whatever way feels best to them! Pip actually looks pretty comfortable how he does it! Rudy sleeps on top of a toy that I made for him! lovies are just crazy birds I think!

kimberly1985
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
That's funny. I introduced the happy hut and he won't go anywhere near it, at least not right now. I'll give him a few more days to see if he figures it out.

Thanks everyone. It's been great listening to these stories of sleepy time.