PDA

View Full Version : Nibbles? Beaking?

Zanraff
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
About a month ago we purchased our first bird. He is a one year old Lovebird. We do not believe he fully bites but he has started to do this thing where it is almost like a pinch/bite. This is where my husband and I disagree. I think he is testing us by nibbling and hubby thinks he is preening us. Another thing he has started to do is try to grab the end of your finger with his beak. I think that is what you are refering to in this article as beaking and we need to put a stop to it. Again my husband disagrees and thinks it is how he is exploring and using his beak for a guide. One issue is it does not hurt so I think hubby is dismissing the behavior. Being inexperienced we don't even know if some of these actions are regular lovebird behavior or things that need to be stopped before he would actually hurt someone. He is for the most part the sweetest bird in the world and I think we are all just trying to learn our way.

shadnamber
05-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!
To help stop the biting try rubbing your birds beak and telling her, "no bite".
Lovies enjoy beak rubs and this will be a positive way to get her to stop. Plus by rubbing her beak she will better understand what "no bite" means.

The more positive reinforcement you give her such as clicker training, treats and beak rubs, the easier it will be for her to learn that you mean her no harm. Trust takes patience. But she will respond to the love. I hope this helps.:)

michael
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
..........This is where my husband and I disagree. I think he is testing us by nibbling and hubby thinks he is preening us. Another thing he has started to do is try to grab the end of your finger with his beak. I think that is what you are refering to in this article as beaking and we need to put a stop to it. Again my husband disagrees and thinks it is how he is exploring and using his beak for a guide.........

You are both correct. .. Although mainly for exploring and communication, lovies utilize their beaks for several reasons. .. Because their behavior as far as biting is concerned can be both simple yet complex, it can take weeks or even months before parrot/s and owner/s begin to understand each others true motives. . Testing the waters? ..You bet. .. After all, flock position in itself is yet one more reason parrots will express a heavy beak. Add to it fear, anxiety, joy, excitement, and you can see just how important their beaking process truly is. .. As mentioned already, building trust has plenty to do with how your lovebird will ultimately respond to different situations, and human periphials. .. Learning how they may view certain human appendages, especially fingers, can also play a large part in their response to them. .. Sometimes their response can be changed, other times you'll need to redirect them away, or just simply avoid the exposure. .. Once again, parrot guardianship takes plenty trust, and a boatload of patience. .. Is it worth in the end? .. I guarantee, most wouldn't have it any other way! .............:)

Zanraff
05-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Thank you for the advice! He seems to be doing it less:o)