PDA

View Full Version : Hand feeding....will mom reject it?

Selppin
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM
So Beaker is now 2 1/2 weeks old the lady that i got him from said it was now time to take him out of the cage get him one of his own and start hand feeding. He has been out of his cage since Saturday evening. I forgot about our family camping trip due to not having my updated calender up to look at. We are leaving Thurday and we are going to be coming back Monday. Is their anyway to put baby back with mom and dad or will they reject him and not feed him? if I need to find someone to take him while I'm gone I can do that I just want to know if I put him back in there tonight and watch to make sure mom is feeding him if he will be ok?

kimberly1985
05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
So Beaker is now 2 1/2 weeks old the lady that i got him from said it was now time to take him out of the cage get him one of his own and start hand feeding. He has been out of his cage since Saturday evening. I forgot about our family camping trip due to not having my updated calender up to look at. We are leaving Thurday and we are going to be coming back Monday. Is their anyway to put baby back with mom and dad or will they reject him and not feed him? if I need to find someone to take him while I'm gone I can do that I just want to know if I put him back in there tonight and watch to make sure mom is feeding him if he will be ok?

I'm confused. The lady you got him from?? Did you buy the hen and babies as a package deal? If the hen accepts him back, I would leave him with her until it is weaned or at least a month old if you're inexperienced in handfeeding.

shadnamber
05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
You have to be careful with putting babies back after you take them out to hand feed. After a few days the mama will no longer accept it and may even attack it. I am sorry I don't know what the time limit is for that. (1 day, 2 days, etc.?)
Of course, birds are different and some birds feed anything and make great foster parents. I am sure a breeder will chime in soon to answer this correctly.

I currently have 3 babies being fed by the Daddy bird and socializing is going great. The mama bird had to be sent a way for now.

Selppin
05-23-2011, 05:34 PM
The lady that I got them mom and dad from couldn't keep them and was just giving them away and then a few days later she laid eggs. The lady I got them from has had them for a while and this is their third clutch. She showed me how to do everything and i have been doing a great job I just for got about the family trip we always take and should have waited till we got back to even think about doing it.

Selppin
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I just thought it would be easier for me to find someone that knows how to take care of birds and is VERY experienced with birds. She has her own aviary and is willing to take the bird in so that I can go on my trip and not have to worry about it! : ) thanks everyone for reading and the advice!:happy:

kimberly1985
05-23-2011, 07:22 PM
So she's gonna take it permanently?

At least you have someone that is experienced to take it in! That's great news for the little baby!

Selppin
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Not permanently just while i'm gone. I'll get him back on monday when I get back from our camping trip!

kimberly1985
05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Oh that's good that you're gonna keep the little guy. Is he the only one that hatched? I'm guessing so.

linda040899
05-23-2011, 10:13 PM
If he's only been out of the nest since Saturday, that's 2 days. Mom will most likely take him back, especially if she's still sitting on more eggs. With this short length of time, I've never had a problem with Peachie, Fischer's or Masked babies.

If mom takes him back, I would do the parent feed/human socialize thing and let the parents feed. It's much better for the babies and you aren't tied to a hand feeding schedule.

Selppin
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Mom only laid two eggs an the other one was a dud so Beaker is the only one that hatched!

linda040899
05-24-2011, 10:23 AM
I would try putting him back and I'm bettin' that mom will be fine with his return. Keep an eye on him just to be sure and have a "plan B" in place, just in case. Not enough time has elapsed for her to have forgotten about him. Lovebirds are remarkably devoted parents, which is why I prefer that they feed and I just socialize.

marc
05-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I agree at 100% with Linda.
That above is a great advice.
You just keep an eye on him to make sure that the mom accept him.