recover.

Hummingbird Nectar Recipe Link:
http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html#recipe

Janie
09-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Linda, great advice!!!!!! :)

Mummieeva
09-25-2005, 02:04 PM
We have a hummingbird feeder and I just refilled it today. The people here before left it and the sutff to fill it when they moved. I love seeing them now that we got rid of 10 outside cats.

Steph

Janie
09-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Steph, not sure what "stuff" they left behind for refilling but the only recommend thing to use is homemade sugar water with NO red coloring. 4 parts water to 1 part sugar, mix and boil for couple of minutes till sugar is completely dissolved (a little extra sugar is OK at the beginning of the season and at the end....to give them an extra boost after the long journey getting here and then the one they have ahead when they leave) and the feeders should be cleaned, no soap, and refilled with fresh sugar water every 3 to 4 days. I usually make at least a gallon at a time and refrigerate it so that I have it ready when it's time to throw out the old and add the new. I keep three feeders up from mid March till mid October and if I go out of town, I have a very nice neighbor who will come over and clean and refill the feeders for me. I don't know why retailers sell that pre-mixed red dye stuff. Everything I've read in all of my wild bird books says it is NOT good for them and that they pee red after drinking it. The red on the feeder itself is enough to attract them, they don't need the red in the nectar. I wanted to share this with you because while I still have a lot to learn about pet birds, I've been watching, feeding and reading about my back yard birds for many years. I could write a book....I think I just did, :D.

shylevon
09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Oh how sad.

Those creatures who survive on one type of nutrition are hardest hit by disasters, as they are not as able to adjust and adapt as many others. I do hope they will be OK and that they can survive this tragedy.

Mummieeva
09-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Janie it is not the red one. It is made of what you said. But I am not going to use it cause husband said it was sitting there since last year. They said their daughter made it for them and gave me same recipe you did. TY for telling me also. I knew the red one was not good and will pass it along to others in my area.

steph

Janie
09-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Steph, your hubby is right....it won't save that long. If I don't go through a gallon in 2 or 3 weeks, I throw it out and make a new batch. Maybe it would save longer than that but when it starts to look "filmy" I pitch it. :)