PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone got in their flock???

Booda's Butt
09-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I was just reading through the threads LoveBugs posted about her two new birds (congrats by the way! :) ) and was just curious what everyone here had in their flock? :grouphug1

Mostly Lovebirds/small guys only? Or a really mixed flock?

I had a Senegal and a Quaker before Cali - I think it made a difference, I sort of expected Cali to behave the same way as my bigger guys do - goofy, fun, smart, and very bonded to us (they want to be with us all the time, be in on anything we do, play dead to get our attention, etc). I'm learning that while Cali can be all that, it is in a somewhat different way. I don't know how accurate of a statement that could be, I've only had Cali for a very short time. So for all the parents out there who have a very mixed flock - please share your opinions! :D

Janie
09-25-2005, 05:51 PM
I have three....all lovebirds! :D Would love to have a TAG but at my age, well....I'm too old! :D

My number one boy is Oliver, a normal peachface who is around 10 years old and he was adopted by us 2 years ago. My number 2 and 3 boys are Shy and Big Boi. Shy is a WF Cobalt Violet and Big Boi is a WF Blue. Hatch mates, hatched at the end of May and precious, I might add! :D

Z28Taxman
09-25-2005, 06:38 PM
I just have one right now. The Dittobird (otherwise known as a Pied Cobalt Seagreen Peachface).

As soon as I can convince him to let me get another bird, I'd love to have a Green Cheeked conure and a Sun Conure (not necessarily in that order). :rofl:

Mummieeva
09-25-2005, 07:30 PM
My flock includes

Baggy a female Whitefaced Single factor Violet.
WHisper a Seagreen SF Violet(we belive) unknown sex

George(female I belive) a green and yellow budgie
Sky(male i think) a pied blue budgie
that is it for birds for now.

I have 10 other pets but working on getting numbers down with them a little.

Steph

Buy A Paper Doll
09-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Just 2 lovies: WF double violet male (Milo) w/ 1 dark factor, and a cobalt Australian Cinnamon hen (Melody). Hubby doesn't count, I suppose.....

LauraO
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Well I have 19 lovies and a Meyer's parrot. My 19 lovies are a mix of mutations. I have ........

3 Masked Lovies

1 Cobalt
1 Normal
1 Slate

16 Peahies

1 Orange Face
1 Olive Pied
2 Normal/OF
3 Green Pieds (Medium)
1 Blue Pied
2 Cobalt Seagreens
2 Creaminos
2 Dutch blues
1 American Yellow
1 Pied Blue Australian Cinnamon

We've decided not to get any other kinds of pets as it wouldn't be fair for our birds or the animals. I would like to get another big parrot or two, but I'm in no hurry :D .

Booda's Butt
09-25-2005, 10:10 PM
wow, 19 lovebirds plus a Meyers!? :omg:

Your house must sound like a tropical jungle all the time - with just my three noisy little ones I sometimes feel that way!

I've always wondered how people can have multiple birds, I'd feel like I couldn't give each one enough attention, but I know tons of people who do, and do it very well. I really respect the ones that can really pull it off! (especially the ones who have very needy large birds, like multiple CAG's, C2's, etc)

I work part time at a Petsmart (gives me some spending money, and discount for all my pet needs :p ) and I'm certified to hand feed. Everytime we get a new baby bird in, I just fall in love and literally lose sleep over trying to convince myself that I do NOT need another bird! It's a good thing I only have a part-time Petsmart employee pay, otherwise I'd probably be in a lot of trouble with my bf! :rolleyes: We currently have a 3.5 month old CAG at Petsmart I am helping hand feed and he is just the sweetest bundle of feathers. REALLY, it's a good thing I don't happen to have a couple G's laying around... :lol

Jezz
09-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I have:

8 Peachface Lovebirds
6 Masks Lovebirds
2 Sun Conures
2 Green Cheek Conures
8 Indian Ringnecks
1 Red Collared Lorikeets

At the moment, all of my Indian Ringnecks are sitting on egg with a total of 13. If they are fertile, they should all start hatching in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to handraise them, i wonder how many i will get :happy:

kimsbirds
09-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Why do you handraise them yourself, Jeremy?

* nosey, ain't I?*

Booda's Butt
09-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I think indian ringnecks are large enough to handraise. They'd be more socialized if handraised vs. parent raised.

Indian Ringnecks are absolutely beautiful birds - what colors are yours Jeremy? do you have pictures of your flock available to see anywhere? I'd love to see your Lori as well! That is so exciting to hatch out and raise your own birds. When I finally graduate and start having time for myself (hahaha..years from now) I think I'd love to handraise my own bird. Maybe not breed birds, but to just purchase an egg or a baby, and just hand feed it from the beginning.

Jezz
09-25-2005, 10:39 PM
I enjoy handraising birds, i think it is fun.

Also, basically, in Australia, the price of most birds has plummetted dramatically over the past year or so and more and more people are wanting pet birds.

Jezz
09-25-2005, 10:42 PM
I think indian ringnecks are large enough to handraise. They'd be more socialized if handraised vs. parent raised.

Indian Ringnecks are absolutely beautiful birds - what colors are yours Jeremy? do you have pictures of your flock available to see anywhere? I'd love to see your Lori as well! That is so exciting to hatch out and raise your own birds. When I finally graduate and start having time for myself (hahaha..years from now) I think I'd love to handraise my own bird. Maybe not breed birds, but to just purchase an egg or a baby, and just hand feed it from the beginning.

Indian Ringnecks are much better handraised than parent raised, they are pretty much impossible to tame if they have been parent raised.

I have Blue, Grey, Silver, Skyblue, Pastel Blue, Pastel Silver, and Pastel Skyblue.

I will put some pictures up soon, i just have to upload them

jknezek
09-26-2005, 08:07 AM
I have one black-masked and two peachfaced lovebirds. couldn't tell you the mutations on the peachies. i also have one solomon island eclectus male. my lovebirds are wild and live happily together in a large cage and play area. my ekkie is my primary responsibility and what a joy he is! fortunately, after bringing the ekkie home, I have no more desire for birds or pets. just for larger cages and a yard for outdoor aviaries...

Angelwing
09-26-2005, 08:34 AM
I have one dutch blue and one blue pied lovebird, one blue (white and black) english budgie, and one lutino budgie. As well as an alaskan malamute/husky cross, bordie collie/husky cross, and fourteen walking sticks. :cool: I plan on getting more birds in a couple of years - keeping some of the babies that my current two lovies have, as well as possibly a sun conure and GCC. And perhaps one day, a blue and gold macaw.

mother_hen7
09-26-2005, 09:52 AM
I have 2 Fisher Love birds which had 2 babies on Aug 1. The hen has laid another 3 eggs. We also have 2 dogs one Border Colie and one cocker Spanial they live outside. My oldest son also has a gecho. Just one little zoo up here.

Sandy :grouphug1

BarbieH
09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
This is a straight blue series Peachface lovebird house. :) Three whiteface blues/cinnamon (single dark factor, two w/violet); one whiteface blue w/violet; three Seagreens (1 slate and 2 cobalt, the latter w/violet); and a Silver dutch blue cobalt.

In different terminology I guess it would be expressed thus:
* Two medium blue violet whiteface/cinnamon;
* One medium blue whiteface/cinnamon;
* One medium blue violet whiteface;
* One dark blue/whiteface/American white;
* One medium blue violet/whiteface/American white;
* One medium blue violet American white/whiteface;
* One medium blue American white.

In still different terminology, they are:
* Bongo and Barney;
* Betty;
* Bosco;
* Didjit;
* Gracie;
* Samson;
* George.

(George, Gracie, and Didjit are shown together in my avatar. :) )

Janie
09-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Barb, I can't keep up with you and yours! :D Are Barney and Bongo the off spring of Bosco and Betty? I remember that you did get two more a while back and wondered if these are their kids? I have managed to keep up with George and Gracie and their two but I am confused about the others! :confused:

BarbieH
09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Yup, Bongo and Barney are the offspring of Bosco and Betty, and they look just like their dad. :D When they reach full adult coloring it will be very hard to tell the two of them apart. Bosco at least has a leg band. :eek:

They are all four very shy birds. I'm trying to get the boys to step out to me, but they just don't want to. That's okay, but it's some gratitude for handfeeding them before Betty learned what to do. Harrumph.

Because we have all those "B" names in one cage, we call them collectively the Cagey-B's (KGBs for anyone old enough to remember the Cold War). George-Gracie-Didjit are the Terrible Trio. Samson is just sweet little Sammykins. :)

BTW, did I mention that Sammy has learned how to feed another bird? And guess who it is: Gracie!

MaraJade
09-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Indian Ringnecks are much better handraised than parent raised, they are pretty much impossible to tame if they have been parent raised.

I have Blue, Grey, Silver, Skyblue, Pastel Blue, Pastel Silver, and Pastel Skyblue.

I will put some pictures up soon, i just have to upload them

Ohhhh, I want a ringneck! :)

As for what I HAVE:
1 papapoo (1/2 papillon, 1/2 poodle) - Pixel
1 cat (russian blue) - Amelie
6 lovebirds - Goldmoon and Quicksilver (breeding pair), TK and Peachy Keen (second breeding pair), Button (female. My first lovie ever. She started it all), and Justarius (one footed lovie from Goldmoon's last clutch).
1 quaker parakeet - Gunther

I want one more cat (Amelie LOVES the birds. In a good way. lol), an Irish wolfhound, and a couple more parakeet type birds.

That's our zoo. :rofl:

Janie
09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Barb, I have one more question....:D WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS????? I can't believe that Lori hasn't shamed you into sharing them with us. I don't remember ever seeing Bosco and Betty, much less their kids. We do have a photo section on this forum, please go there! :p Pretty please! :D

butterfly1061
09-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Sorry I got here a little late. I've been moving into my NEW house. :happy:

I've got 3 lovies and want a Caique. :D I even thought about a parakeet, but I think it would be an English Budgie.

Booda's Butt
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
wow, big households! for my total count:

1 male blue persian, Taz
1 female flame point siamese, Karma
the three birdies...(booda, mia and cali of course)
2 Red Tail Boas
1 ball python
pair of Day Geckos
pair of Helmetted Geckos
trio of Pictus Geckos
pair of Viper geckos
pair of chameleons
2 bearded dragons
2 uromastyx
2 tiger salamanders
pair of asian green treefrogs
1 indigo blue white's tree frog
1 white lined gecko
and a total of 18 leopard geckos (all in the process of bulking up for breeding)
5 bettas and a 30 gal. tank of tropical fish.
and I almost forgot our Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula!

and these are just the ones I opted to bring with me to my apt. animals still residing at my parents house:

black DSH cat, Bumba
TortiShell DSH cat, Sangha
and 2 red ear sliders

Jackie (and whoever else is familiar with Caiques) I know they are expensive because they are harder to breed, but besides that, what makes Caiques more special than any other type of similar sized bird? (like conures and poicephalus) I've always been told that Caiques are awesome awesome little guys, but I've only met one in person. And while he was very beautiful and a nice bird - I don't think I was around him long enough to really see "what the big deal" was all about.

LoveBugs
09-26-2005, 12:56 PM
hahhhahah. When I read this, I was searching for my birds, (I'm lying on my bed right now) and here are my little list of the members in flock in order of when I got them:

- blue masked lovie, Sweet Pea aka PP, she's on top of my tv right now that is at the foot of my bed, taking a nap.
- peach face lovie, Little Ms. Lily, sitting on her boing by my window, singing on top of her lungs in her awlful voice.
-black capped conure, Guom-me, sitting on his boing hung on top of his cage, attacking a pinata
-blue and gold macaw, Angel, in her cage, contemplating what had just happened to her recently.

Good thing my mother hates animals...eitherwise I'll have plenty more... lol

One day...when I get my own house.... lol

mjm8321
09-26-2005, 01:24 PM
My flock huh? Well.......I guess it's good that someone asked, this way I can actually take inventory of what's in the house. ;)

39 Lovebirds

37 peachface of varying mutations
2 green masked
3 Cockatiels
1 Senegal
1 Gold Cap Conure

and 4 cats. :lol

butterfly1061
09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Karin,

Caiques have wonderful clownish personalities. In fact they are more clownish than lovebirds. They are stocky built and usually hop rather than fly. They can entertain themselves for hours. They are known as they birds who play on their backs. It's just too funny to watch. I expect to pay around $600 - $800 for one in the future. I have a friend who is starting her own breeding with them. I've never heard a breeder tell me they are hard to breed, but they do tend to nest only a couple of times a year. Personaly I like the Black-Cap, but the White-Bellied is just as pretty. We see quite a few of them at the Atlanta birdfairs. Just like lovebirds they are sweet animals with great personalities. :D

Janie
09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Karin, I was with Jackie at the fair and she showed me the Caiques and, WOW, they really are cute to watch. Lying on their backs....too cute! I watched two of them at a bird specialty store here, a few years ago, and had a fit over them! They played, played and then played some more and were all over me! :D I think those two were priced at around $800 each.

Jackie, so glad you're on the move! You're gonna be so happy! :)

mjm8321
09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Barb, I have one more question.... WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS????? I can't believe that Lori hasn't shamed you into sharing them with us. I don't remember ever seeing Bosco and Betty, much less their kids. We do have a photo section on this forum, please go there! Pretty please!

Yeah Barb....and Tim, what's going on? :rofl: Course I better be quiet before I get asked for pics too LOL!

Janie
09-26-2005, 05:13 PM
MJ!!!! TOOOOO LATE! So, where ARE yours?????? With that many, you can find a bird every where you "shoot".....:D

bellarains
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Well.....

Here's my crew.

Bela and Lacey, Lutino male and creamino hen.

Cappie, spoiled rotten GCC

Fred, gray tabby

Orange-Orange tabby(yeah, real original name :rolleyes: )

Ms. Kitty, apricot and white persian(Yeah, another real original name :lol )

Dolly, 1/2 chow, 1/2 collie

I have asked Bard ;) for some new pics, and she said she is having camera difficulties. Yeah right!!!!!! I do recall seeing some recent pics of a trip ;)

mjm8321
09-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Honestly, I tried to get some pictures a few weeks back, but I don't know what happened, either I didn't finish taking pictures or something. I'll have to take some new piccies of the whole flock anyway as I'm going to add pictures to their files (yeah I have files for the birds :wink: ). I did add a couple of pictures earlier though of some of the babies.

Mummieeva
09-26-2005, 07:08 PM
I have more pictures of Whisper then I do my oldest...lol.

Steph

linda040899
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
What's in my flock???

I've got a bunch of lovebirds (exact numbers unknown), 2 African Greys, 2 Military Macaws, a Blue Front Amazon and a Princess of Wales Parakeet. I breed lovebirds so my numbers fluctuate. I gave up counting...... :)

Booda's Butt
09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Caiques go for about $850-$1200 here in Chicago, or at least whenI've come across them. They seem fun - but I my Senegal can do all that! Booda often plays dead to get my attention, he likes to do rolls and summersaults and hangs like a bat off his perches. He's definately a clown, and most Senegals are. Not taking away from the Caiques - but just adding to my "not sure why they're talked about so highly" idea. the white bellied are really gorgeous though.

Linda - are your grays Congos or Timnehs? I've often heard that they can either be great birds to have in a big flock, or really bad birds to keep in a big flock. I've heard that some develop jealousy issues, and just don't seem to play well with others.

linda040899
09-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Linda - are your grays Congos or Timnehs? I've often heard that they can either be great birds to have in a big flock, or really bad birds to keep in a big flock. I've heard that some develop jealousy issues, and just don't seem to play well with others.
I have one of each. Ginger (CAG) is an import so the rules of Greys don't really apply to her. She's very different than a domesticated Grey. She's strictly a touch me not bird. She can mimic almost any sound perfectly but does not talk, not even one word. Harley (TAG) is domestically bred but he's learning how to be a bird from Ginger. They are great companions. Harley is my talker and he's also the one who is jealous of the other birds. Remove Harely from the mixture and all my other large parrots can be together at fairly close range, as long as territory is neutral.

Jezz
09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
You people are so lucky, the Black Headed Caiques go for around $8000 each.
And the White Bellied Caiques are $25000 for a pair :omg:

p3rr4n
09-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I am trained by a peachfaced lovebird named Trixie.

We also have:
Nitro: Doggie
Cassie: Kitty

I am also happily married to Karen.

:)

mjm8321
09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
You people are so lucky, the Black Headed Caiques go for around $8000 each.

I guess it goes both ways though Jeremy....our wild birds are Blue Jays, Chickadees and Starlings.....you get Tiels, Cockatoos, lorikeets, etc... :lol

Keltoth
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Right now, I have 11 peachfaced lovies and 2 Green-cheeked Conures:

1 green Opaline hen
1 Jade Violet Opaline cock

1 Orangefaced hen
1 Olive (heavily) Pied cock

1 Slate Violet Whitefaced Blue hen (non-visual violet due to the double dark factor, but a confirmed Violet due to her mother being a Double Violet)
1 Cobalt Whitefaced Blue

1 Wild Green hen
1 Wild Green (lightly) Pied cock

1 Dutch Blue Creamino hen

1 Olive male

1 Cobalt Violet Whitefaced Blue cock

2 Green-cheeked Conure males

The lovebirds that are paired above are cagemates; the first three pairs are sitting on eggs, and the last pair of Wild Greens are preparing to lay eggs (yes, Zipper finally has a confirmed cage of Torpedo-Butt!). I had the Cobalt Violet Whitefaced Blue male (Paco) paired with a Seagreen hen who used to pick the feathers on his back, but I sent her to live with my son and brought the Olive male back home. The Olive was paired with his Cobalt Dutch Blue clutch-brother and had recently started to bully him. Since the Cobalt Dutch Blue has always gotten along extremely well with the little Seagreen when they visited on the weekends, I thought I'd try matching the two of them up, while bringing home the Olive and trying to pair him up with the Creamino hen. This leaves Paco all alone without a hen or cagemate, but he is a very hand-raised and human-socialized bird that has shown no inclination to mate, so we have time to try and find him a suitable companion.

Jezz
09-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I guess it goes both ways though Jeremy....our wild birds are Blue Jays, Chickadees and Starlings.....you get Tiels, Cockatoos, lorikeets, etc... :lol

Don't forget the Rosellas, Galahs, King Parrots :whistle:

joan gault
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Hats off to all of you that have more than 1 "pet" lovebirds etc. I have 7 lovies (hoping to decrease that to 3) as it takes a lot of work and loven to keep them all happy.
Joan