PDA

View Full Version : Toronto is for the Birds

TGerard
09-25-2005, 07:44 PM
An encouraging news story concerning bird conservation:
http://www.canada.com/businesscentre/story.html?id=c5a5bf5c-73cd-46d6-be13-ca08a06a9ba2.

(It is always nice to share good news. :) )

linda040899
09-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Thumbs up for Toronto! Great story, Tim! Thanks for sharing it! :)

Janie
09-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Yes, great story!!! :D Thanks Tim!

jknezek
09-26-2005, 10:34 AM
the NYTimes recently had several stories about the same topic in NYC. lights will be dimmed at night in the skyline over 40 stories. very exciting to see more cities joining the efforts of chicago, boston and I believe Vancouver.

Janie
09-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Someone linked the NYTimes story on my wild bird forum. A very good story and a huge help to the migrating birds. :)

TGerard
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
the NYTimes recently had several stories about the same topic in NYC. lights will be dimmed at night in the skyline over 40 stories. very exciting to see more cities joining the efforts of chicago, boston and I believe Vancouver.

That is good news. After reading this in the article: The partnership, "a North American precedent that positions Toronto as the leader in migratory bird conservation,"... I misinterpreted that to mean Toronto was the first in North America to implement such a plan. After reading your comment, I reread it for clarity. Lesson here: don't just skim---read.>o

Side note: I do recall a story in a past National Geographic that reported on this. (I can't remember when exactly, of course!) It featured a photo of all the deceased birds (hundreds) laid out by species that they collected from a small research area over a year's span. It was truly a disturbing image. Perhaps this helped raise awareness?