PDA

View Full Version : newbie with a few questions, all help appreciated :-D

emmylafoo1986
06-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi i just have a couple of questions about my new lovies. Firstly can i give them pineapple? And secondly, is there any way of guessing the sex without DNA testing? I was told in the shop i bought them that the females ususally have a lighter colour than their male partner, is this true? I could e-mail photos of my birds if somebody thinks they could have a guess for me. Also they are only 2 months old but i noticed the darker coloured bird feeding the other one from his beak, does this mean he is the male? And is this normal at such a young age?:confused:

linda040899
06-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Lovebirds are not really fruit eaters but you can try offering them small bits of fresh pineapple. I would not use canned.

Other than DNA or surgical sexing, there is no other way to distinguish gender between Peachfaced Lovebirds. There are a lot of "guess" methods but you have a 50% chance of being right, as well as a 50% chance of being wrong.

Youngsters often feed each other as you have observed and it's no reflection on gender. It's perfectly normal.