PDA

View Full Version : I am torn

kimberly78
09-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Well I am at a point where I dont know if I should rehome my lovie. I have only ever rehomed one other pet in my life as I am a firm beliver that when you take on a pet you take it for life. I posted before how he is a freak with loving on everything and feeding it. I since then let him have his way and bought him things to "love" on. He is feeding it so much that everynight when I get home there is a mountain of regurg seed on the cage floor. Its not a little its a pile about 2 inches high from the bottom pan (i have a grated bottom). He is a wonderful pet, doesnt like to be touched but will kiss you for days, loves to play and all around great bird. I wonder if he would be happier in a breeding environment. Since he feeds things the way he does he seems like he would be a great daddy. It also means I would have to let him go to a new home since I dont want to get into breeding. I dont know what to do. I dont want to be selfish with him and just keep him because its better for me, I want to do whats right for him. Any input or suggestions?

Janie
09-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Kimberly, reading your post, I DO get the impression that you truly want what is best for him, even at the expense of your feelings and letting him go to another home. While I can't give you any suggestions or advice since I have no experience with that type behavior, others here will be able to help. Hang in there and hopefully you'll have a good solution soon. :)

BarbieH
09-26-2005, 10:20 AM
I know how you feel about rehoming. It's an option of last resort here, too.

If he seems happy in all other respects, I see no need for rehoming him. It sounds like the situation works for him. The only thing to really worry about at this point would be making sure he doesn't get some bacterial infection from the 'gurg lying around, and that can be prevented with daily cleaning.

You could also consider getting him a companion -- not a mate, but a single bird he can bond with and feed. Could be male or female, but there are no guarantees that they will get along. If you do wind up getting him a hen and they do get along, that doesn't mean you need to raise chicks. You could shake or boil the eggs before anything develops in them, and return them to the nest. Nothing is killed at that point.

Best wishes,

Mummieeva
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
I agree with Barb a companion would help alot I think. There is no sure way to know if they will get along but it would be better then rehoming him if it works. I have been were you are thinking of rehoming but mine was due to biting. But I am glad I kept her because she has not bit me in awhile. Hugs because I know never easy at times.

Steph

kimberly78
09-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. I do clean up the mess everyday because there is so much of it. I hace thought about another lovebird, but then if they dont get along it becomes one more to provide attention, vet care etc and with 16 pets right now I dont think that would be a responsible choice. He is very very happy and enjoys tormenting my parakeets and finches buy sitting on their cage and eating their millet :p

kimberly78
09-26-2005, 10:47 AM
O and I did want to add that my fiancee and I bought a house and move in on 10/14. He has a single budgie and after quarenteen we were thinkin of keeping their cages side by side so they can talk to one another. Of course I know its not a safe option to let them be out of cage together so they wont but I figure maybe it will help if he has someone else to talk to?

BarbieH
09-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't think it would hurt, and it just might work out well for both birds. :) You never know which birds have a possibility of bonding, even if it's only through the bars of their cages.

LauraO
09-26-2005, 11:37 AM
If your lovie is a young bird this may also be a phase he could grow out of, though there's no guarantee. Another thought, is when you move he will be going through an adjustment period that may snap him out of all the regurgitating. You are not alone though, there have been others with your same issue.

kimberly78
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the input, the last thing I want is for him to leave me. He is such an easy going bird and a riot. I cant imagine not having him

Z28Taxman
09-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Ditto went through the feeding toys phase. Never that much though (and he usually ate it again when he realized the toy wasn't eating it). It made for a lot of toy cleaning. :eek: He also would hump his happy hut many many times a day.

He's since calmed down and seldom actually feeds the toy and only humps the happy hut occasionally.

Maybe you're little guy will calm down too but I'm no expert.

kimberly78
09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
I actually help with several shelters here which is how I ended up with a mini zoo :rofl: Unfort. all the lovebirds that make their way into shelters are paired. Thats even if there are any. Its been about 2 years since there have been any of them turned in. Which of course is good since I hate seeing so many pets being thrown out. I adopted my current lovie when his 1st home got tired of him and the shelter he was in didnt know what to do with birds :roll:

Rubygem
09-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Kim,

Good for you being such a caring and loving momma.... 8)

My concern for your lovie is how much it is regurgitating. If I were you – if you don’t already have one – would be to get a scale that weighs grams…weigh your lovie and make sure he isn’t losing too much weight feeding his beloved toys. If he is then it will be time to look into what other options you might have open to you.

Rubygem