PDA

View Full Version : This is not a lovebird. It's a dog. With wings. And a compulsion for eating paper.

Daffu
06-23-2011, 09:49 AM
I took a slightly better (http://clumsypanda.ithiltari.com/Foto0035.jpg) photo of Ren.

It's.... hard to get decent pictures of him when he's not sleeping because he's a bundle of energy and his mind seems to go from "Ooooh.... that's shinny! I want it!" to "OMG I have not tasted that thing way over there in the last 3 minutes. I NEED TO INVESTIGATE!" withing milliseconds.

As such, telling the bird to stay still because I REALLY want to take pictures of him is er... hard at best. I have some napping pictures when he snuggles on my lap and falls asleep (which is more often than I thought possible - I think he literally tires himself out, runs back to me, naps and the process repeats).

But anyhow, that's not the point I wanted to make/the question I wanted to ask. Ren is still a baby, as is probably obvious from his beak (though then again, the photo is a week and a bit old). He's in the process of being weaned (which apparently takes much longer in lovebirds than it does on parakeets, I'm finding!), and seems perfectly content to sample green veggies, pellets, seeds, etc, as well as taking baby formula. My questions are the following:

His poop is rather 'runny' which I am quite certain is because of the baby formula. From my experience with my hand raised parakeets... their poop changed to smaller, black and more compact once they started eating stuff that wasn't their baby formula. Their poops are quite easy to 'wash' off and take away from places (get napkin, pick it up, toss). It doesn't stain. Ren is... well, much more friendly than the keets in the sense he spends most of his time outside of his cage with me and my family. The downside is his poop, which... unlike the keets, is runny. I was wondering if his poop will become more like the keets' one once fully weaned, or if I'm going to have to start training the poor lil guy to poop elsewhere. I already know his queues, so 9 times out of ten, he alerts me, I put him on the floor on top of a napkin and he poops on it. But.... the other 1 time out of ten I miss it and he er... poops elsewhere. He does not poop on me or when he's laying down on me -in fact, he makes it a point to get off and do it on the table, floor, sofa or whatever.

Another thing I want to ask is about flight. Ren is now able to fly around (short distances - a few meters at most, he's still sort of awkward and prefers to walk/run or... hitch rides on my foot/shoulder). I feared that with flight he'd become much more independent, but... he seems to favor flight to get to me or go explore something and rush back to me. I was wondering if this behavior is normal? He has a big attitude in that he's scared of nothing at all (I really do mean that), but he behaves like a miniature dog - he runs after me, or flies with/to me and seems to love sitting on my lap or chest to nap away. Yesterday, he fell asleep on his back on my lap while we watched a movie and he didn't get up until I had to go to the toilet (and even then, did so reluctantly and went back into snuggle mode as soon as I was back). Granted, the fact I spent the movie stroking and scratching him might've had something to do with it.

But still, I'm wondering if I'm just extremely lucky with this little guy or if this is mostly natural for lovebirds in general?

Another question revolves around paper. He's a shredding machine. If there's paper less than half a meter away from him, he's going to find it. And shred it. to tiny itty lil bits. And sometimes eat it; I'm worried over this since while I was aware they shredded the paper I was not aware they ATE it. Ren EATS it. What sort of paper would be okay to offer to him to rip and eat and shred to his heart's content? I highly doubt my magazines are okay for him to eat, after all. Also... is the eating paper a both genders thing, or mostly female?

lovie_couple
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Well my lovebird looks exactly like your Ren, and seems to be about the same age. His poop was also runny when being handfed, however, as he has been eating solid food it seems to have thickened up.

Daffu
06-23-2011, 10:08 AM
His poop seems to be hardening up over time (specially more noticeable when he eats more food and less formula - it varies from day to day). The vet told me not to rush him, that he'd tell me himself when he didn't need formula so... I've sort of been letting him decide on his own.

Hopefully this is okay? I've been told the weaning can take a long time but that is varies from lovebird to lovebird.

kimsbirds
06-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Daffu,
Your vet sounds like a wise person! Better the baby be abundance weaned (choosing when to stop handfeeding on it's own) than to be force weaned!
And you're right, each baby is different. They have their own agendas. Confidence, example, and genetics will all contribute to a baby's own weaning schedule.

More solids = smaller, firmer poops
More water = soup poop!:rotfl

thebubbleking
06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Both my males and females like paper then hens make strips the males make round spitballs lol, i use plain printer paper or bwon paper lunchbags,
as far as being a snuggle bug you got lucky!, dont talk to loud or dave with plan a fidnapping! XD

kimberly1985
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I was under the impression before I got Yoshi that parakeet poop and lovebird poop was the same. WRONG! Parakeets, like you said, are black and a little white and can be "flicked" off almost immediatly. Lovebirds or at least Yoshi's, is green, smushy tubular shaped and takes a while before it dries enough to "flick" off.

I'm sure with the handfeeding formula, it's gonna be a little bit runnier. But as he eats less of the formula and more of the seeds, it will thicken up. But it will never be like Parakeet poop.

Daffu
06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Thank you EVERYONE for the answers! Great help ;0; <3

linda040899
06-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Hopefully this is okay? I've been told the weaning can take a long time but that is varies from lovebird to lovebird.
Very wise advice! Parent raised babies are weaned an mostly eating on their own by age 8 weeks. The parents, however, will still provide snacks on demand for the following couple of weeks.

Hand fed babies can take up to 12+ weeks to be able to eat enough on their own to keep themselves alive. Each lovebird baby is different so yes, take your cues from your own baby. He will tell you what he needs as long as you are willing to pay attention and listen. :)

summerday
06-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Haha I was loling the whole time I was reading your post!
Summer is just like that. she's about 10 weeks old now and she has attention of 5 year old boy, I swear! She doesn't know the idea of sitting in one spot and eatting, unless she's really hungry. She would grab one grain of pellet and and runs to my keybord to chew on the keys. Then goes back for another bite and comes back to what she was doing. She runs around the computer, insists on going through underneath my typing hand when all other routes are available, flies in circle over my head and lands on my head for over 20 times, and then goes back grab another bite.

I usually get super annoyed because she doesn't want to leave me at all either...XD
but I realized that when I'm by myself outside, I kinda miss her fraulicking around!

Oh and her passion is my tiffany necklace and tissue papers as well lol She would stay on it for minutes *gasp*

shadnamber
06-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh and her passion is my tiffany necklace and tissue papers as well lol She would stay on it for minutes *gasp*

:rofl: So cute! The things they treasure.