PDA

View Full Version : New lovie

matilda
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I have a new lovebird named Bambie. I was told she is not more than 4 months old. I've had her for 2 days now. She doesn't bite (thank God), she only tried to bite when she had a blood feather yesterday from the move :( and already has her wings clipped.
She's already eating well (I'm guessing it's a she with no evidence whatsoever simply because she's a diva). She is scared of hands though. So today I have tried just getting her used the her surroundings. I left her cage open and sat right in front of it watching stuff on my laptop. She took a bath in her water and has been crawling around the outside of the cage for the past 3 hours just happy as can be. She has such an intense personality and is chattering and flapping her wings nonstop and just going CRAZY. I can tell she's mischievous and shows an intense curiosity in the things I do, like eating. And if I don't acknowledge her cuteness she'll walk out onto the ledge of the open cage door right next to my head and cheep and flap her wings. I can tell she has SO MUCH potential. And I've made a TON of progress with her from yesterday in being scared of my hands considering she doesn't try to fly away, just moves a couple inches.
So there's a couple things, firstly I want to know if there is anything else I can do to get the bird more accustomed to my hands, and not be so scared of them, secondly I'm afraid of her getting bored because she is not interested in playing inside of her cage but rather exploring, but I don't want to let her get off her cage until she is comfortable with my hands because me having to catch her to put her away is like 2 steps back, and thirdly I don't know what mutation she is so I'll post some pictures soon in hopes someone can shine some light.
I think this forum is so cool and I've read some really interesting posts!

kimberly1985
06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Glad you found the forum...Welcome!

Only advice I can give is....Just don't rush things...All in Lovebird time. :) Sounds like you're off to a good start.

summerday
06-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I agree with kimberly.
I used to have another lovebird, and it took him 2 months to be affectionate towards me. At first he was scared of my hands, and soon he didn't mind them but weren't to happy to be on them, and then finally, he accepted me as his flock member and voluntarily flew to me whenever he could. This all took 2 months.
So all I'm saying is, be patient, and don't lose hope even if you don't seem to go anywhere weeks from now! =D Lovies do understand love, and once she realizes that your love is constant and reliable, she will be all over you. Like you said, she sounds like a baby with huge potential for love and affection !