PDA

View Full Version : Uncommon Behavior?

julie
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Over the past couple of weeks, Toby and I have become the best of buddies. He will come onto my hand and will run and jump back to it when he is on the floor. I have noticed that whenever we are hanging around when I'm using my ipod or computer, he will try to jump on it and consistently bite it. Then he will also begin to bite my hands. I do not understand why this is happening, and would like to know if it is a problem so I can fix it. It seems to me he is jealous of the attention I give to my laptop and ipod touch? I am not completely sure.

Has anyone experienced this or knows why this is happening?

michael
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Julie. .. Your probably right in that he's a bit jealous of the keypad. .. It is in fact very common that we lose not only our minds, but a few keys along with it. .. Depending on how you view this, it may be a problem, or it may not be. .. Any chance you could find one of those clear keypad covers?.......or.....type with one hand?..............:whistle:

Gill
07-20-2011, 04:11 PM
My two are the same! I cannot have the laptop open whilst they're out as they are so quick at picking off the keys and flying off with them! And when it is shut they bite all around it, its so odd!

My phone is the worst, I try to text and Bobble is sat on the top of it hanging over the entire screen, sometimes sending texts before they're finished as its touch screen but there is no getting her off! She just magnetises to it!

The other day I was playing Angry Birds with Bobble sat on top of the phone and Sticky sat on the finger I use to catapult the birds! They were there for ages!

They both go bonkers for my phone but mostly my female! Sticky just stays perfectly still staring at his reflection in the screen whereas Bobble bites it a lot!

julie
07-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Hmm.. I believe it may be a problem. Could this make them more aggressive? If so, I'll probably try to keep him away when I'm using electronics.

thebubbleking
07-20-2011, 05:53 PM
here is why they do it, when you click they keys on a keyboard it sounds like thier clicky mateing dance, the males get upset someone is flirting with thier slave and the females get excited and want to get some loveing. If your phone clicks there ya go, well that and as everyone knows when the fid is out of the cage all attention must be on him or her so anything that distacts that attention needs to be bit! hope that helped :)

bookworm0550
07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
mine have taken off my laptop keys and bite at my phone, whether or not i'm on it. i don't think mine are jealous, i think mine view these things as toys.

lovie_couple
07-20-2011, 11:37 PM
my bird just likes to bite the keys and chase the mouse pointer XD

elijahfan
07-21-2011, 09:06 AM
mine used to to this i lost a few laptop keys and he now does it since i got a new blackberry comes right down and flirts with the phone he no longer bites as i no longer react or stop when he does lol

he has plenty of character by the shounds of it just wants your full attention

Chookie
07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
my tickles bites the laptop keys and my fingers if I have her out while i'm using it, she's never bitten me HARD, yet, and don't particularly want to keep doing the things she doesn't like to provoke biting lol I just don't use it when she is out now. :)

michael
07-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Hmm.. I believe it may be a problem. Could this make them more aggressive? If so, I'll probably try to keep him away when I'm using electronics.

Although with this behavior it appears parrots do get sort of pissed off, i've yet to hear it caused ongoing aggression. . On a more positive note, it shows that your lovebird cares enough you pay attention to him, and not your keyboard. .. Even so, i've placed certain limitations when my own are allowed to walk all over my computers keypad. .. That said, diving into my keypad for a head scritch or two is one thing, tearing it up, on the other hand, means GO AWAY! .. The resulting look on their faces is priceless! .......:rofl: