PDA

View Full Version : New lovebird, wondering about behavior.

labyrinth001
07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi, I just got a new lovebird a week ago; his/her name is Phoenix (I'm just calling her "she" for now). She's about three months old and was hand-fed, though she wasn't handled for a bit after she was weaned and has been a bit skittish since coming home. However, she's already come a long way in her seven days here.

She's been climbing around the cage and has pecked at her toys a bit, but doesn't really play with them, yet (I assume because she's still getting used to her new home). But I've also noticed that she tends to sleep a lot and often sits with her feathers fluffed up, and I've heard that can be a sign of illness. She doesn't sleep at the bottom of the cage, though, and she is definitely eating and drinking, and her poop looks normal. There's also no discharge around the eyes or nose, and her bottom is clean. Do young lovebirds sleep a lot? Or is this something I should be worried about? I do feel like she was a bit more active the past few days than she was today. I haven't found an avian vet in my area, yet, so I haven't made an appointment...the closest one I can find is about an hour and a half away, and I may have to go with that one if I can't find a closer one.

Thanks for your help!

kimberly1985
07-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Welcome to you and Phoenix. Congratulations on your new birdie.

Fluffing up is also a sign of content too. It just depends how long she stays fluffed up. Also, taking naps throughout the day is quite normal for a lovebird especially when they are young. She's probably fine and just getting used to her new home but since she is rather young, I think that a few of the forum members would like to see a picture of her so that they can make sure that she is the age you were told. A handfed bird is usually weaned around 10 weeks old so she's probably was weaned just a couple weeks ago. Some breeders are not as honest as others. If she is younger than you were told, there may be things that you need to do and/or provide for her. How well is she eating?

I'm sorry if I'm worrying you, that is not my intention. We've just had a couple members recently, who were lied to about the age of the baby, and one lost their bird due to starvation and the other had to supplement hand feedings, but luckily the baby survived.

I think pictures would help with the advice someone could give you.
You can open an account with photobucket and post the links here. If you don't have a camera, this might could help you make sure she is 3 months old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrRhnmJoqNM

Again, please don't be worried until someone more experienced can give advice.

linda040899
07-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Please post a couple of pictures of Phoenix if you can. I'd like to see front and back, including full tail length. What you were told and what actually is may not be the same thing. I'd also like to see a photo of some normal droppings. Gross thought, maybe, but it will reveal if Phoenix is indeed eating enough to keep himself alive long term. If you don't have a scale, I would get one and weigh Phoenix every morning before he eats. That will tell you his true weight. Babies tire easily but you need to make sure he's not tired because he's not getting enough to eat.

michael
07-24-2011, 07:42 AM
........We've just had a couple members recently, who were lied to about the age of the baby, and one lost their bird due to starvation and the other had to supplement hand feedings, but luckily the baby survived.......

..........Babies tire easily but you need to make sure he's not tired because he's not getting enough to eat.

Even if your baby is eating (and pooping), it may not be enough. .. It could still be in serious trouble. .. Lovebirds usually poop about every 10-15 minutes, give or take couple. .. Checking the frequency of his/her droppings may help. ... Hope you can provide some pics.....soon!

labyrinth001
07-24-2011, 09:53 AM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k594/labyrinth001/

There's a link to a few pictures. The one of her puffed up inside the cage is how she's been sitting a lot/how she's been sleeping a lot--I couldn't get a picture of her actually sleeping, as she woke up when I came near. :-p The ones outside are how she is when she first comes out, but she'll sometimes start sitting puffy after, too.

Kimberly, funny how in that video of the stages of life of a lovebird, the first one is a creamino :-)

She eats Zupreem pellets and Kaytee Fort-Diet seeds, as well as millet. I've definitely seen her eating all of them throughout the day when I'm home, and she goes to the bathroom regularly. I'll post a picture of the droppings later when I can (wow, that sounds weird).

Once again, thanks to everyone!

linda040899
07-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for posting the photos. Her tail feathers are full length but I couldn't get a good look at the coloring of her beak. The tail feathers are fully grown at age 6 weeks so I'm OK with that. Her droppings are also solid and well formed. As Michael pointed out, lovebirds will eliminate roughly every 10-15, even every 20 minutes. Droppings are an excellent indicator of health so it's something that most of us monitor on a daily basis.

The sleepiness and fluffed feathers are bothersome for me. It almost sounds like it's in excess so I'm going to suggest that you make an appointment with your avian vet for a well bird exam. The vet should weigh Phoenix and check mouth, cloaca (vent). I would also ask for a Gram Stain to check for the presence of a possible low grade infection. It's possible that Phoenix is just not used to being without other lovebird companionship but at least you will know that she's OK if the check up comes back normal.

I would make sure that you start weighing her every morning to monitor weight, at least for now. Many of us have gram scales and I, personally, weigh my birds at different times just to monitor what they are eating and if it's enough.

kimberly1985
07-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh she's pretty! I'm glad that she is close to the age you were told!

Ya just never know these days! Hope you find a vet close to you and she gets a clean bill of health.