PDA

View Full Version : Upset...what happened to my velcro birdy?

kimberly1985
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
So I've introduced Zazu and Yoshi. It's been a week...I think.

They get along great and I feel like I've become the third wheel. They both want nothing to do with me. I understand it with Zazu because he never really wanted anything to do with me before. Yoshi has gotten way more aggressive with me...bit me today while I was changing his food. It hurt so bad. I am very upset. He also never begs to come out of his cage anymore, when he is out, he flies to Zazu's cage and tries to bite if I ask him to step up from there. Tonight, I actually got him out of his cage, and cried like a baby saying, "I miss the old you, I miss you "loving" me."

I got Zazu because I wanted Yoshi to have a friend. I knew that he might bond with Zazu but I didn't realize he'd forget about me and become so aggressive.

Anyone have this problem before? Will the "new" wear off? or do I just need to accept it and move on?

I just don't want Yoshi to become untamed.

linda040899
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Yoshi needs more one on one attention from you, out of sight of his cage and Zazu. If you've been busy and had less time for him, that's probably the answer to what's going on. There are certain times of the month where I'm very busy and come home from work very tired. My flock gets less attention and they become grouchy.

kimberly1985
08-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Yoshi needs more one on one attention from you, out of sight of his cage and Zazu. If you've been busy and had less time for him, that's probably the answer to what's going on. There are certain times of the month where I'm very busy and come home from work very tired. My flock gets less attention and they become grouchy.

I have been very busy lately. I will try to spend more one on one time with him. Thanks.

bookworm0550
08-10-2011, 12:45 AM
try doing what linda suggested and keep us posted.

it'll be ok though. it's brand new and exciting for him and it's another creature just like him! i'm sure it'll wear out and he'll come back around. just continue to spend one on one time w/ him. when my birds are all out, sometimes they rather play w/ each other than me. they're nice about it, but sometimes if they feel like i'm not taking the hint, they'll bite me. i just back off and let them do their own thing. it's not that yoshi doesn't love you anymore, i'm sure he does, he'd just rather play w/ zazu at the moment.

sorry, i never had this specific problem before so i don't really have any advice. at one point i was sad when my bonded lovebird joey and his nephew orion became bff. but joey never bit me or got aggressive or anything of that sort, he just rather get preened by orion than me. but i let him do his thing w/ his new buddy and he's back to his old self. they're cage mates and besties, but i'm still his his fave or else he's really good at letting me think that.

but for now, i would just do what linda said and continue to spend one on one time w/ yoshi. the only thing is that sometimes when doing this, they always are calling for their friend/mate and looking for them esp if they can hear each other. that's never fun cuz it defeats the whole purpose. you want one on one and they want to be w/ their missing friend. maybe when they're both out together, you can offer them treats. and yoshi will def have to hang out w/ you while eating his treats and maybe zazu can learn from him and try to eat some as well. something like millet? a sprig i feel is close enough for them to be near you and far enough for the untame one to feel comfortable eating. just my two cents.

btw, do you know their sexes?

kimberly1985
08-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the advice. I really do need to spend more one on one time with Yoshi.

Neither have been DNA'd, but Yoshi's breeder was sure he was a boy. Something to do with his parents' genetics. I have no clue about Zazu. I have been wanting to do a DNA kit on them but haven't gathered up the courage to do so. I'm guessing you're asking because of the potential they might breed??? I don't plan on letting them breed and if it happens, since they are different species, the eggs would be replaced with fake ones.

bookworm0550
08-10-2011, 01:00 AM
oh no, i wasn't thinking that. i was just curious who was what is all.

bookworm0550
08-10-2011, 01:03 AM
dna kits aren't too bad. i did one once w/ pantalaimon. i mean, i had my bf do it. we did feather testing rather than blood. i couldn't yank out any feathers cuz i'm such a chicken, but i'd rather do that than blood from his toes. so i made my bf do all the dirty work. it said he was a boy, but i was still doubtful til he and my for sure girl lovie had babies.

kimberly1985
08-10-2011, 01:04 AM
LOL that's what I get for assuming.

I call them both, "he", but they could both be girls. The way Yoshi is acting, it makes me wonder from what I've heard about females.

bookworm0550
08-10-2011, 01:17 AM
if you're really too scared to do the dna kits, you can always pay more to have the vet do it. it's good to do both just to be sure. cuz yeah, sometimes those hens can sure be something!!! i've heard some real horror stories about hens, but i don't think they're that bad. you can def tell they're girls though LOL. i just count my blessings that my hens aren't too bad. they can have mood swings like their mom so i definitely understand them. haha. but again, not all hens are like that. i have one that is just the sweetest thing ever! omg, i wish they were all made like her. she's even better tempered and sweeter than the boys.

kimberly1985
08-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Yea, I definitely need to get these little guys tested. I've been saying that for 2 months.

Lucky you, with the sweet hen!

bookworm0550
08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Well lucky me she's sweet but woe is me for she is also my self mutilator :(. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

kimberly1985
08-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Poor little thing.

Enko_chan
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
According to what was recommended to me and what I did:

Spend one-on-one time with each bird, and also spend time with them as a flock, too. Let them climb all over you when they play together, sit near them when they play, but don't interfere much but don't try and touch them during this time unless they ask for scritches- and see that you can be a part of their play.

This is what I have done with Frey and Odie and I am very happy with how they have integrated as a part of my flock and as individuals. So long as they're within sight of they other, Frey is happy come out to spend time with me individually without the other needing to be velcroed, and I have a chance to get some scritches in, and they LOVE to spend time with Chris and I as a pair so long as we don't try to be too "touchy" with them.

kimberly1985
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
According to what was recommended to me and what I did:

Spend one-on-one time with each bird, and also spend time with them as a flock, too. Let them climb all over you when they play together, sit near them when they play, but don't interfere much but don't try and touch them during this time unless they ask for scritches- and see that you can be a part of their play.

This is what I have done with Frey and Odie and I am very happy with how they have integrated as a part of my flock and as individuals. So long as they're within sight of they other, Frey is happy come out to spend time with me individually without the other needing to be velcroed, and I have a chance to get some scritches in, and they LOVE to spend time with Chris and I as a pair so long as we don't try to be too "touchy" with them.

Thanks, this is great advice. I will try it out.