PDA

View Full Version : Rehoming questions

piousm
08-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Gooday! I posted a while back about one of my pairs, Mintie and Mossy who are brother/sister/husband/wife, about 2 years old. Mintie is very well behaved and loves to come out and sit with humans, Mossy (the hen) less so, but when she is nesty she attacks everyone, now including Minty, so we have to separate them, but then later they stress for each other. Now we are getting a little concerned that Minty will end up hurt or worse, and it is a little stressful. I am considering putting them into an aviary with other lovies so that he has more room to get away etc. Given that they have been pets, is this wise? Is there much risk putting them in with other birds in a big aviary? They fly very well.

Now my other question : my other pair have a single chick, now about 7 weeks old. He is doing well, but the mother (Kiki) has gone nesty again (sigh) and is chasing him. Dad (Gigi) is still feeding him. When is the earliest that I can rehome him? I have a good home for him to go to.

Thanks again as always

linda040899
08-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Now my other question : my other pair have a single chick, now about 7 weeks old. He is doing well, but the mother (Kiki) has gone nesty again (sigh) and is chasing him. Dad (Gigi) is still feeding him. When is the earliest that I can rehome him? I have a good home for him to go to.
Keeping the welfare of the baby in mind, I would say another 2 weeks before you can rehome him. What you can do is give the baby his own cage and let dad spend the day with him so he can finish teaching the little one to eat on his own. Mom only needs dad for mating purposes right now and will be fine by herself. The baby, on the other hand, needs dad until he can learn to eat enough to keep himself alive. By age 8 weeks, he will be eating on his own. I hold all my babies and extra week just to make sure they are confident in their own abilities.

When you say you want to put them in an aviary with other birds, what kind of other birds are you talking about?

piousm
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks, will do (re chick).

With the others, I've some options to put them in with someone who has lovebirds in an aviary, and another person who has lovebirds and other parrots in a large aviary.

peggy2002z
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
is it ok to put 2 new lovebirds in with 2 older if they are not breding

linda040899
09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Need more information, please. :)

When bringing in new birds, always quarantine the new ones for a minimum of 30 days. This is for the safety of your existing birds. You need to make sure the new ones are healthy or your existing birds could end up sick if the new ones are ill.

Do you know genders of all birds? How old are the 2 you have and the 2 new ones? How big is your cage?

Adding new lovebirds to an established cage doesn't always work. Older birds will usually not accept younger birds and if your 2 existing lovies happen to be hens, you could really have problems. It's usually wiser to keep them in side by side cages (after quarantine) so they can get to know each other. Some species of parrot can be put together very easily. Lovebirds are not one of those species of parrot.