PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to college

lovie_couple
08-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Well, it's that time of year again. I'm moving back to college and into a new dorm with a new roomate.

Here are my question/questions:
1) It is a 2 and half hour drive. How many stops should I make for Gigi? Do I need to stop any, or can he drink and eat alright while the car is moving?
2) Introducing Gigi to my roomate? What's a good way to tell and young girl not to use hairspray and perfume??? (lol)
3) Should I get an air purifier? Would that help filter out anything in the air that could be harmful?

carrier
08-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I have a few questions for you. Does your dorm allow pets of any kind? I have never heard of this, although it's been 20+ years since I've stepped foot in one. How big is your dorm room? Is it set up like an apartment? The one I stayed in was literally two of us crammed into a 8 x 11 room. I just would hate for you to drive out there and them tell you no birds allowed. Some people are also allergic to birds, so what happens if the roommate turns out to be?

I just want you to have all of your bases covered.

lovie_couple
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM
It's a larger dorm with its own bathroom, and small birds are allowed. My dad and I agreed that if for some reason my roommate hates my bird, for my bird's own safety, I should bring it home. And apply for an apartment the next semester.

lemonypickett
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I work as a Police Officer for a University with on campus housing (and have seen many things in my years here).... I can tell you the roommate thing is tricky.... She may have a lot of guests in the room when you aren't there.... they may not all be kind to your bird. A hot plate, teflon pan, or a george foreman grill may give off fumes (even if you ask her not to use it, she may). If your bird chirps and if she thinks about lovie chirps like my sister does, she will flip from the sound. It may disturb her while studying. That will cause stress between you, and drama seems to bring on Facebook drama which usually ends up in Harassment orders from the police... (yes, I know I am being extreme)

My worldly knowledge recommendation is (in order):

1. Leave the bird home and spend extra time spoiling it when you return from a break. Next semester live off campus, it is usually less money, and you can make your own rules.
2. Go to school birdless, and get to know your roommate for a few days before you drop the bomb about the other big personality that wants to stay with you (start by asking how she feels about birds, as some people are super fearful or some cultures find it very bad luck to cage a bird)
3. Bring it with you and hope for the best.....

Another thing to think about the dorm is that the heating and cooling systems are not controlled by you... therefore, it is often VERY hot and VERY cold

I just reread this and I sound grumpy, don't take it that way, I have just seen sooooo many problems. School is a place that requires a lot of focus to be successful. How you do at College may impact the rest of your life and it isn't a place to have distractors....

I failed out of College my first time around when I was your age living in a dorm. So later, while I was working 50+ hours a week and had to pay for school myself, I had to go back. Now, at 34 years old I have 6 classes left..... although my career has advanced, I KNOW if I had graduated 10 years ago I would be much better off.

So, lecture over.... Birdie will be ok, and everything will be great, just do your best to keep life simple and focused.

We do all understand how hard it must be to leave your baby while going away to school. It is nice to have that comfortable, familiar thing in a scary place. Just remember, we are here for you..... :happy::happy::happy:

lovie_couple
08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Well so far she claims to be completely anti social, and mostly spends her time watching TV. I think I will bring him at least for a week, and if it's a big problem, I'll take him right back. She is a child development major, So hopefully she is used to a two year old running around basically.

Also, the air conditioning in these dorms is controlled by us. So that should at least solve that problem.

And in all actuality, he is hardly EVER loud. But of course I could be biased :D

But thank you for your input, and you didn't seem grumpy to me :)

personatus
08-26-2011, 06:57 PM
The drive won't be a problem. Mine often are in the car for 10-12 hours, sometimes longer. I use show cages to transport them, with a bit of seed and water.

lemonypickett
08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Nothing better than an anti social roommate.... my boyfriend is rather "stoic" and there is nothing better than being with someone that doesn't need to be the center of attention. So congrats!

My college roomie was miss popular and would get up at 5am to blow dry her hair and often had guests that would steal "cool" designer bits from me to hang in their "party townhouse"....

It will all be great, and I agree with Personatus, that time in the car is nothing to worry about....

lovie_couple
08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Well im all moved in, and so far everything is alright. I'm just doing my best to keep him quiet for the first few days :/ Hopefully everything will be better once he settles in, and gets on a schedule.