PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!! Bloody, raw patch on back

smittnkitten
09-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Hello everyone
This is my first post, and I'm hoping you can help me. Several years ago (around 2005/2006), my dad brought home a lovebird that a co-worker had found in the snow (Virginia). It is not tame at all (bites). We do not know the sex (has never laid eggs though), and it has always been kept in its own cage without problems. We have a Quaker Parrot also that is kept in a cage next to it. About 8 months ago, we noticed a fairly large bloody looking patch on its back. This was in Virginia, but we have since moved back to Florida. Upon settling in, we took the bird to a local avian vet. She put on one of the collars to stop it from plucking and the whole visit cost us $70.

Within the next 4-6 weeks after putting the collar on, the bird slowly chewed it completely off. It seemed like its back was healing but now it has happened again. We bought some spray from Petsmart that was supposed to help with molting and skin irritations (back when it first started). Now it is getting worse and there are blood drops on the perch.

I did not like the vet we took it to, but it is the only avian vet around. I also hate to pay $70 for another collar that the bird will just chew off.

We have tried adding a stress supplement, lots of new toys, etc., but it doesn't seem to help.

I don't want to seem like a bad bird owner, but I don't know what to do. If you have any suggestions or advice I would love to hear it!

I want to bring relief to the poor thing as soon as possible! Thank you!

shadnamber
09-01-2011, 05:31 PM
try neem cream. all natural, and safe. about $10.00 at your health food store or you can by it online. hope this helps.

lovie_couple
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I've heard frequent baths help. Maybe a spraybottle of warm water?

linda040899
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure which vet you used in your area, but this one has been recommended to me several times and I believe she's in your area:
Parrott, Terri DVM - Lake Wales Veterinary Hospital
(863) 676-1451

Neem Cream has been a godsend to me but it would also be helpful to find out what organism is causing the problem in the first place. An e-collar should be the treatment of last resort when all medical possibilities have been ruled out.

smittnkitten
09-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Thank you guys for your responses.

Linda, I actually did go to Dr. Parrot - she has great qualifications and experience however I was not impressed with her personality. She was not as warm or welcoming as other vets I have been to (especially since it was our first visit). She didn't explain things very much and her first resort was the collar. Unlike almost every other vet I have had, she never called to follow up or check on our bird.

Do you all think it is necessary to go to the vet, or should I attempt to remedy the situation on my own? Are there any specific products (besides Neem cream) or supplements that I could try? Anything else I should be doing? I am hesitant to try Neem cream because the bird is almost impossible to handle and bites very hard.

Thanks again :)

linda040899
09-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Thank you guys for your responses.

Linda, I actually did go to Dr. Parrot - she has great qualifications and experience however I was not impressed with her personality. She was not as warm or welcoming as other vets I have been to (especially since it was our first visit). She didn't explain things very much and her first resort was the collar. Unlike almost every other vet I have had, she never called to follow up or check on our bird.

Do you all think it is necessary to go to the vet, or should I attempt to remedy the situation on my own? Are there any specific products (besides Neem cream) or supplements that I could try? Anything else I should be doing? I am hesitant to try Neem cream because the bird is almost impossible to handle and bites very hard.

Thanks again :)
Your reaction to Dr. Parrot is the typical complaint. There are several others over in my area (Tampa) that have much better bedside manners, for lack of better terminology, and I would say you can try the Neem Cream but you also need to rule out a Staph infection. My own avian vet is in Town 'n Country, which is quite a hike for you, but she's really good with parrots. I can PM you her name and number if you want to give her a try. In the meantime, let me see if I can find another avian vet closer to your area. Susan Clubb is somewhere around Loxahatchee, although I'm not sure exactly where.

michael
09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
.........Within the next 4-6 weeks after putting the collar on, the bird slowly chewed it completely off. It seemed like its back was healing but now it has happened again. We bought some spray from Petsmart that was supposed to help with molting and skin irritations (back when it first started). Now it is getting worse and there are blood drops on the perch........

Unfortunately, plucking and chewing of the feathers and skin is more common than we'd like to think, especially among male lovebirds. .. While most feather destructive behavior is thought to be attributed to hormones, other medical conditions such as bacteria/yeast/parasitic infections, folliculitis, poor nutrition, etc, must be ruled out before applying any external treatments, otherwise, the condition will only get worse. ... I'm with Linda, in that the best course at present would be to consult with a vet who has a fair amount of experience in treating avian feather abusive disorders.

Be very careful about using over the counter sprays and/or suppliments from retailers like Petsmart. .. Some of the ingredients used in various sprays, for instance, on an open wound, have been known to cause infection, and in worse cases, lend themselves towards the introduction of staff. .. With over the counter suppliments....They generally work in a broad sense in that their intented to cover most all deficiencies. ..Problem is, most parrots aren't really lacking all the nutrients, and therefore, may only need certain ones such as vitamin A, D, or calcium. .. An over abundance of unnecessary nutrients, in effect, can eventually do more harm than good by altering the way in which the body would normally use them.

Because there are many members here (including myself) who's birds suffer the same problem as yours, is there anyway you could share a photo with us?

smittnkitten
09-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Linda, Thank you so much for your help. If you could message me the name and number of your vet, that would be great. It is quite a drive, but I will think about it and consider going there instead of to Dr. Parrot again. I looked up Susan Clubb and she seems great, very impressive, but unfortunately that will be too far for me. :(

Michael, Thank you for your thoughtful response and advice. I really hope that the problem is not something serious. It's just frustrating because it was starting to go away with the collar on (or at least it seemed to). Speaking of nutrition - is there a food that you would recommend? We feed our birds something geared towards birds like lovebirds and small hookbills. It's not dirt cheap, but I'm sure there is something better out there.

I think I will discontinue the use of the spray, the ingredients seem pretty bad, but I was desperate and wanted to try it.

I will try to get a picture for you tomorrow if I can, but it is difficult because the spot(s?) is/are under the wings. Only when it stretches its wings can I see it. In fact, if it weren't for my keen observance, I wouldn't know anything was wrong. The bird behaves and eats completely normally and plays with all its toys. :confused:

Thank you !!!

michael
09-03-2011, 08:08 AM
.........Speaking of nutrition - is there a food that you would recommend? We feed our birds something geared towards birds like lovebirds and small hookbills. It's not dirt cheap, but I'm sure there is something better out there........

Assuming that what your offering is a good quality seed mix, then you could always use it as a "base diet" in which to build upon. .. The goal is to incorporate other foods (especially "live" foods) that not only add variety, but most important, vitamins and minerals that help maintain good health. .. Probably one of the best suggestions i've heard on our board is to try sprouted seeds. .. For some birds, they appear far less intimidating than a carrot, yet still contain plenty of beneficial nutrients. .. Other veggies such as zucchini, broccoli/or its leaves, hot peppers, leafy kale or spinach, and yes, carrots, will most likely have to be introduced through trial and error. .. Some excellent idea's and suggestions can be found in our "Lovebird care" forums "diet" section. .. A good start would be to read through the "Sticky's"................:)

smittnkitten
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone
Reviving this thread because I need some more help. Our lovebird has been getting better off and on, but recently things started to become worse. I decided I would try the Neem Cream. It has been very difficult to apply but I have been applying it for about a week now (skipping a few days). I tell myself that it is helping, but I am not so sure. Today, one side looked a bit better, and the other side was bloody again. I have read of others applying Neem Cream for a few weeks before seeing results.

But now, I am noticing that she is breathing heavily, tail bobbing, and kind of shivering. I can assume that she might be cold (shivering), but the heavy breathing really concerns me. It seems she always breathes kind of fast and shivers a little, even in warmer temps. Is this normal at all? I think it could be an infection, and am hoping that it is not a reaction to the Neem Cream due to ingestion or something. If I accidentally kill her, I will not be able to forgive myself!!

As mentioned in my post above, we are not fond of our local avian vet but this seems to be our only option. My mom is going to try to bring her in tomorrow and I am sure the vet will scold us for the Neem Cream and make me feel terrible.

Any advice?? :(

Thanks

linda040899
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Neem Cream should not be the problem, as it has natural antibiotic/antifungal properties. If you got it from Neem Tree Farms, it's about as natural as you can get. I've even used TheraNeem with no reaction at all, even if small amounts were ingested. My avian vet took a look at the container and she couldn't find anything objectionable in it.

You could be looking at a respiratory problem or there could be another issue going on. Hard to say but I think you are wise to have her checked ASAP. How is she, weight-wise? If her chest area feels thin, you probably have another issue and that could be making her cold. Shivering is the body's own way of creating heat. If you can cover her for the night and put something over her for heat, it might make her more comfortable.

Please let us know how she's doing and what the vet has to say.