PDA

View Full Version : Lovebird is disoriented

acumiami
09-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi,

My lovebird used to go out of her cage and fly around the house but it has been a few months since she has not done and she seems disoriented. She looks up a lot and moves her head as if she is dizzy.

Besides this she is eating well, taking her baths, drinking water, etc.

What could be the reason for her disorientation?

Thanks.

linda040899
09-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community!

How old is your lovebird? Based on my own personal experience, it sounds like your lovebird may have had a stroke. Ear infections don't usually cause disorientation, although I think I would have her checked out by your avian vet.

Do you have any photos you can share with us?

acumiami
09-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello,

My lovebird is about 6-7 years old. A friend of mine found it and I kept it. That is why I am not sure the exact age.

I went to an avian vet and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics but that did not help at all.

If she had a stroke, can her disoriantation be cured?

Best.

linda040899
09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I went to an avian vet and he gave me a prescription for antibiotics but that did not help at all.
What was the diagnosis and what medication were you given? Did the vet do any testing or was it a look/see, here's a prescription? Did the office schedule a follow up appointment for a recheck? With a stroke, the head is usually tilted to one side and it will affect flying. Everything else is pretty much normal, e.i. appetite, droppings, behavior in general. I'd love to see a photo!

If your lovebird had a stroke, there's little to nothing that can be done except make him/her comfortable and accept the handicap.

acumiami
09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi,

The Dr. took some blood sample and he checked her, but he really was not sure what was wrong with her. He thought it was an ear infection and provided me with metacam and the other medicine I am not sure what is was. I gave "Happy" her medicine religously for 2 weeks but no changes.

She has her head tilted to one side sometimes, but everything else seems ok.

I will get a picture of her and post it tomorrow.

Thanks.

linda040899
09-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Medication for an ear infection goes in the ear canal. Metacam is for pain and it can help with inflammation but it won't do much for the infection that's in the ear, itself, if that's the problem. Is the name of the other medication on the label on the container? If there's been no change, she should be rechecked.

acumiami
09-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay. Here is a picture of Happy.

Thanks for your help.http://twitpic.com/6hitj5

Not sure if it worked but if not try this link http://twitpic.com/6hitj5#.TmfmVxakMN4.bitly

Enko_chan
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Double check with the vet/pharmacy on where the ear meds go because the meds I got for Benny's ear infection was an oral med. Both the inflammation med and the other for the ear.