PDA

View Full Version : Questions about buying a lovebird

CookieMonster
09-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello everyone,
after a couple weeks of researching and thinking about it, i've found a breeder who has two 6 month old lovebirds for sale (thinking about buying one)

what are some things i should look for? and look out for?

CookieMonster
09-07-2011, 10:12 PM
That was incorrect, they were 6 weeks old at the time, now they're roughly 8 weeks old (not sure if that makes a difference)

kmbrlyv
09-09-2011, 12:05 AM
At this age I would ask if I could leave a deposit for the bird that I wanted and give them at least another 2 weeks with the breeder to make sure they are fully weaned and able to feed themselves.

Mummieeva
09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Look to make sure birds eyes are clear and feathers look in good shape. I agree to wait a few more weeks and be sure and ask whay brand of food they eat. Ask the breeder to send some home with you. Also get a vet visit for same day you get birds if possible. That way you get it over with before bird comes home.

Booky
09-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Some things to look for would be their diet, condition of feathers, how active they are, etc.
If you want just one, of course make sure it's been tamed. Hand fed does not always mean the owner has taken the time to socialize them.

Hope this works out for you! They are great little companions, so easy to get attached! :)

linda040899
09-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Age 8 weeks is really too young for baby lovebirds to change homes. Parent fed babies are just finishing being weaned if they are with their parents. Hand fed ones can take 2-3 weeks longer. Babies have to build up their confidence level that they can eat enough to keep themselves alive. Major changes can threaten or damage that confidence and they will revert back to wanting to be hand fed again. Miss that que and the baby can die within 72 hrs if it's not getting enough to eat.

I would offer a non-refundable deposit and wait at least another 2 weeks. I'm a breeder and I won't sell even my parent fed babies until they are between 10-11 weeks old.