PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a companion bird for my female

Tinkerbelle
09-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I am looking to find a companion for my female lovebird. She is about two and a half years old, and has been very tame; until the last four months, when she has spent more time alone and has become rather obsessive/compulsive...sitting for long periods on the bottom of the cage, where she raises a foot to her beak and gives a chirp, doing that repeatedy. She also has become less interested in being out of the cage. I know she is hormonal, and intend to read the posts regarding that. She rubs on toys, etc. I have tried changing her routine and made other efforts to mix things up and I've been trying to spend more time with her, but can't seem to break this "funk" she is in.
I have decided to get another bird, preferably a lovebird. I would love some advice on how to introduce them, (after the initial quarantine of course), and I especially would love advice on managing a male/female in the same home, but separate cages. How hard is it to have a pair and be able to manage the reproductive urges? Would you advise against that idea? Would two females get along?
I plan on getting a handfed, well-socialized baby and I feel like she would take to a young bird rather well.
Also, I just lucked into a big flight cage at a nice price and I feel like that would be ideal for "together" time, for limited periods anyway.
Allright, all you lovebird experts out there...any thoughts?

I've had birds all my life, but she is my first lovebird. I have had experience handfeeding cockatiels, and some baby parrotlets...had a Blue Front Amzon and Conures, but I must say, that this little Lovebid has given me more delight than any other bird I've had and I really want to do what is best for her.
Thanks so much for your help.
Dennise

linda040899
09-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Dennise and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! Lovebirds are unique, as you are finding out... :)

A hormonal, nesty hen can be a bit of a quandary. I don't think there's one member here who would disagree with that statement. I'm a breeder and all my pairs are on breeder rest. How well I know where you are coming from.

Since you currently have an extra cage, try moving her into it. It's something completely different and should put her off balance for a short period of time, if nothing else. All new perches, toys, cage location, it's worth a shot.

Since female lovebirds tend to have aggressive personalities, especially hormonal ones, a female companion could be an exercise in futility. (Imagine yourself with 2 hens doing what your one is doing! :omg:) A mature male will have breeding on his mind so that's a shaky possibility. One thought that might work would be a hybrid lovebird, specifically a Peachfaced x Eye-ring cross. This particular hybrid variety is sterile so even if your hen were to lay eggs, babies are impossible.

momo
09-19-2011, 07:26 AM
As someone that has a very nesty Hen.. one word of warning I'd say is.. Be prepared for the fact they may not get along. Especially if you have a nesty hen who is very protective of her cage. Can you handle essentially having two separate birds?

My nesty Elmo, although on medication now to fix this, she still hasn't taken to Chicken Little, my second bird. They've been together for a year now and they can only get with in 10 cms of each other without Elmo (nesty hen) yelling at Chicken. I find that Elmo doesn't take too well to other fids because she was a hand raised baby and spent the first two years just her and me.

Also, if she's nesty and grumpy.. keep a spray bottle or a feather duster on hands because there may be fights.

Re: hormone issues.. I would suggest limiting her daylight hours, also, this will sound mean but this is what my vet has asked me to do, only give your fid 2 teaspoons of seed a day. This is because lovebirds are dessert animals and they are programmed to breed when times are good, and of course you give them good conditions.

The other thing is, take away the toys that she's trying to "mate" with. If she's anything like Elmo, her cage ends up being bear by a few bell toys and some natural tree branches.

To reduce the hormone issue you essentially have to make it a little uncomfortable for her, so her body stops telling her to layeggslayeggslayeggslayeggslayeggs!!

Tinkerbelle
09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Thank you for your replies.
I do plan on keeping my birds in separate cages, but was hoping that they could interact when out or even perhaps in the big flight cage. If they have to remain always seperated, then I guess I need not limit myself to a lovebird. The hybrid idea sounds like a possibility too though.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Heading to a big bird store today to check out the possibilities!

Mummieeva
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I will dd a word. Do not get a younger male. The male should be her age or older. The reason being she might hurt a younger male. He might be clueless at the sighs she gives and she will get ticked. I agree with Linda a hybrids will save the worry about babies.

thebubbleking
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
my only lovebird hen is a hybrid pf / ficher so i dont have to worry about fertile eggs with her mate sunshine or one of the other three boys lol works out good :)