PDA

View Full Version : Taming

kldlplovies
10-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I am getting two lovebirds tomorrow that were at this little pet shop being sold together and I felt terrible for them. They are in this cage that's not even suitable for 2 parakeets, so my husband and I are going to buy them. I am really nervous about bringing them home. They have been in this petshop for year. Anyway, I've done a ton of research, but I still don't think I'm prepared for what these two have been through. Eeee....any advice?

Joannadk
10-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Hi KL

What kind of advice are you seeking?

When you have them home, then give them some time to adjust to the movement. Leave them alone for the first 24 hours and keep an eye on, that they are drinking and eating. When they have started to eat and drink, you can give them attention. Talk to them a lot so they get used to your voice.
Congratulations with your two new lovebirds. How old are they? Are the siblings and do you know the gender. What species are they?

Joan

michael
10-03-2011, 07:48 AM
........Anyway, I've done a ton of research, but I still don't think I'm prepared for what these two have been through. Eeee....any advice?

If confinment to a cramped cage is the worst they've been through, then its unlikely that will have any direct impact on their behavior. .. This could be different had they been somehow physically abused, as most parrots regardless of species can have a very good memory. ..Even so, those heavily abused, more often than not, can still make great candidates for rehabilitation, especially if taken in by someone who understands them, and are both dedicated and compassionate about their care. .... Something else to watch for are "breeder birds". .. Although they don't exactly fall under the catagory of neglect, some receive very little direct human contact. .. Once the owners decide their done breeding them, they are usually sent to a predetermined pet shop to be sold, at times, younger than they really are. .. These birds, while they can still make wonderful companions, are almost always much more of a challenge.

Member Joan (Joannadk) has come up with some very good questions. .. Age, gender, species, are all important things to know before you purchase lovebirds. .. With some exception towards gender, the petshop owner should have no problem providing/verifying any information, as afterall, not only are you purchasing two lovebirds, but their history as well. .. If anything, I would ask if these birds ever had a "well bird exam"? .. Who's THEIR vet? .. And do they offer a "well bird guarantee". ... Make sure that when you bring your new birds home, you bring along a good supply of the exact same food they've been eating at the petshop. .. If need be, you can always enhance their diet with healthier foods once they settle in. .............:)

kldlplovies
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Alright, let me say. One is a female and one is a male. They will be a year old on December 13. I guess that makes them siblings. They haaven't eaten anything, but they have nibbled on some millet. They are blue-masked....Ficsher??

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee436/kldlp5budgies/1003111416a_01.jpg

Here's a great picture of the two.

Joannadk
10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi Kld

I guess they're siblings too. But since they are male and female you should seperate them, because they will probably breed. And you don't want babies when they're siblings.

Get some nature branches that needs to be so thick that the birds feet only reaches 2/3 to ½ way around the branch. Get some in different thickness, since it's good for their feetmuscles and trims their nails. The stick thay have in their cage now, is way to thin and are no good for their nails.

Get some fresh small branches that they can chew on, and leave the leaves on them. They will love to chew on them and take the leaves off of the branches.

What kind of seeds/pellets are they eating?
When they've started eating you can try to give them veggies or fruit. But be very patient since they can be very slow on things they don't know. Often it can take them weeks to try something new.

Joannadk