PDA

View Full Version : lovie problems..

clovie
10-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Heya guys...

i was on this a few months ago, i had a blackmask named chee choo, well now i have 4!

- lutino peach face = mango
- fischer = mico
- peach face = taco
- black mask = cheechoo

now my problem is this.. the birds constantly fight. I have either 3 males and 1 female or 3 females and 1 male. taco is the one everyone fights over. chee choo not as much she's shy and reserved however mango and taco won't stop when i let them out of the cage on common ground.. mango used to be so close to taco but as soon as mico came taco forgot about mango. i know that mico is over a year old whereas the rest are still under a year could that have anything to do with it?

i know that mico deliberately tries to get mango jealous of their relationship because she will kiss taco so much and preen him when mango is around. Mico will also run after mango and bite her or they will silently beak fight.. then she'll go back to taco and kiss her infront of mango.. im not sure what to do.. ill separate them but they will hear eachother chirpin and get sad and do their best to find eachother *all 4* but together isn't helping either.

How would i know if by chance one of them is pregnant? what are the signs of intercourse with a bird ..i don't know what to expect i guess...

one last question can a fischer and a black mask mate and have fertile children??

thanks for all your help..

Carla :grouphug:

linda040899
10-01-2005, 08:23 PM
one last question can a fischer and a black mask mate and have fertile children??
Hi Carla,
The answer to this question is yes. A Fischer's x Mask will produce fertile offspring. However, this is a breeding no-no, as they are different species of lovebirds. Each species has a different personality so hybrid babies will often have identity problems, as they are unsure of what or how things are supposed to be done. It's much better to pair Fischer's with Fischer's and Mask with Mask.

When a hen is carrying an egg, you will see a lump under her tail. When lovebirds mate, the male will mount the female.

kimsbirds
10-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Please seperate your species asap. While a blackmask/fischers CAN have fertile babies, this is still hybridization. You can house the 2 peachies together temporarily, but it might not be able to remain this way if they both prove to be females.
Next, DNA to determine sexes. You can order free specimen cards/kits from healthgene.com or avianbiotech.com and send in your pymt with the samples.
Then, if you want to, you can provide proper species mates with any/all of these birds.
Did you get these 4 birds at the same time? If not, PLEASE watch for any signs of illness that might be passed from an infected bird to the others. We usually recommend a minimum 30 day quarantine for new birds.
Birds dont remain "pregnant"...rather the egg develops inside their body very quickly (2 days) and each egg is fertilized individually. Eggs are laid every other day until the clutch is complete (2-8 eggs).

There is lots of breeding/sexing information provided on this forum, so, get out your reading glasses....LOL:)

LauraO
10-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Carla: I think your getting some great advice. I just wanted to say welcome back :D. How is Chee Choo doing these days?