PDA

View Full Version : new pair of love birds

gemzi86
11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi iv'e recently got a new pair of love birds off an elderly lady i have no idea of how old they are but they seem to keep fighting all the time one is a peachfaced lovebird and the other is a black masked lovebird.

michael
11-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi iv'e recently got a new pair of love birds off an elderly lady i have no idea of how old they are but they seem to keep fighting all the time one is a peachfaced lovebird and the other is a black masked lovebird.

Safest route if their constantly fighting, is to separate them ASAP. .. In the meantime, try to gather a bit more information so you can determine whether or not they are even compatable. .. Can you ask the previous owner about their history? .. Because its unusual to pair up different species of lovebirds, you need to ask if were they ever actually housed together. (if not, separate them immediately) .. Does she know their genders or age? .. How long has she had them? .. Please let us know if you can find anything out. .........:)

gemzi86
11-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Safest route if their constantly fighting, is to separate them ASAP. .. In the meantime, try to gather a bit more information so you can determine whether or not they are even compatable. .. Can you ask the previous owner about their history? .. Because its unusual to pair up different species of lovebirds, you need to ask if were they ever actually housed together. (if not, separate them immediately) .. Does she know their genders or age? .. How long has she had them? .. Please let us know if you can find anything out. .........:)

Hi i tried asking for information about them but the previous owners passed away and none of the other family members no anything about them? do you think a vet could tell me all these answsers i need to no.

lemonypickett
11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Very few color varieties can be visually sexed... Some have luck by watching behavior (tucking paper, humping toys, etc.)...

I agree with Michael... If fighting you will want to seperate immediately... An injury that causes death cam happen quickly.

Do you have any pics you can post?

Welcome by the way!

michael
11-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi i tried asking for information about them but the previous owners passed away and none of the other family members no anything about them? do you think a vet could tell me all these answsers i need to no.

Any chance she may have taken them to a local vet? .. Do you know the womans last name? .. Unless you can find a vet who's already familiar with them, it is highly unlikely he or she will be able to determine their age. .. However, gender can be determined through DNA sexing via a test kit. .. You can order a test kit from here> http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm ... If your uneasy about collecting the necessary nail/feather samples, and there's nobody to assist you, then only a vet can collect the samples for you.

Most important, is making absolutely sure these two lovebirds are compatable. .. If for any reason they are not, you could very easily end up with one them either seriously injured, or dead. .. Can you tell us how you found them? .. Is it possible someone may have caged them together without prior knowledge of their care or behavior?

Sorry about all the questions. Can you tell us what they eat?

gemzi86
11-23-2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=7290&d=1321288344
Very few color varieties can be visually sexed... Some have luck by watching behavior (tucking paper, humping toys, etc.)...

I agree with Michael... If fighting you will want to seperate immediately... An injury that causes death cam happen quickly.

Do you have any pics you can post?

Welcome by the way!

gemzi86
11-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Any chance she may have taken them to a local vet? .. Do you know the womans last name? .. Unless you can find a vet who's already familiar with them, it is highly unlikely he or she will be able to determine their age. .. However, gender can be determined through DNA sexing via a test kit. .. You can order a test kit from here> http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm ... If your uneasy about collecting the necessary nail/feather samples, and there's nobody to assist you, then only a vet can collect the samples for you.

Most important, is making absolutely sure these two lovebirds are compatable. .. If for any reason they are not, you could very easily end up with one them either seriously injured, or dead. .. Can you tell us how you found them? .. Is it possible someone may have caged them together without prior knowledge of their care or behavior?

Sorry about all the questions. Can you tell us what they eat?

no worries i dnt mind the questions iv been able tro contact a family member of the person who had them,he is going to try n find out as much info as he can for me,as for eating they only eat the lovebird seed mix i got from petshop ive tried fresh fruit etc but they won't eat it at all,1 of the birds has got a green tag around it's leg with something written on it would this tell me anything if i was to find out what it says Thankyou for all ur help

gemzi86
11-24-2011, 11:11 AM
they eat a cockateil seed mix sunflower seeds mix what the pet shop recommended and they eat millet sprays also
I have tried feeding them fruit and veg fresh but they dnt eat it I dnt think they've ever been fed any before but ill keep trying them with fruits and veg.

michael
12-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Any luck with the relatives? ... Can you tell us whats printed on the legband?...............:)

Lawrence
12-06-2011, 03:14 AM
the ring is most likely their leg band, if done by properly then it should tell you its age.

personatus
12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Closed rings often follow a colour coded scheme too.

For instance, here in the UK, green rings were used in 1991, 1998 and 2005. 2012 has red rings.

This could well be different in different countries though, and not every society/club/org follows the colour scheme.

The year should be on the ring anyway :)

The bird on the right (black head) i'd be very sure is female :)

gemzi86
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Any luck with the relatives? ... Can you tell us whats printed on the legband?...............:)

Hi sorry havn't been on sooner had no computer,yes it's a dark green legband closed i think and it says ZG34 thats all it says Thankyou.